Despite his pain, he grinned slightly in confidence, getting to his feet quickly. He had to hold on just a bit longer, and then he would be safe. Sure, he would be behind the others significantly if he stopped to rest now, but really he had no choice. Taking a surge of confidence, Draal began to run again, just as he heard the creatures peek through. They saw him going and screamed angrily after him, jumping out and racing after him on all fours. 

After he had run for a few more minutes, he knew they were catching up. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that only three had followed him. He searched around him frantically, perking up slightly when he saw the perfect place. Draal wasn't normally one for quick thinking, but the fight of someone's life, no matter how weak they are, will give their brains a boost on survival skills. Smiling slightly to himself, he turned just as two of the things pounced at him, heading straight for his back again. The bigger troll reached out with his good arm and grabbed one's throat and threw it to the left, causing the other to stumble. As the one he threw stumbled and rolled on the ground, Draal kicked the second with his leg into the same spot. He stopped short and burst out a laugh of triumph, glaring at the two he had just thrown. 

The two had landed right on top of each other, struggling to get up while making strange noises of pain and confusion. Almost at the same time, the things lifted their heads and swung them to look at him, opening their mouths and screaming. Draal waited a few more moments, but horror dawned into his chest as they continued to untangle themselves, getting to their feet and hands.

Both of them were in a large patch of the bright sun.

Neither of them were burning.

They were still just as alive and kicking as before. 

Draal took a step back in terror, panic hitting him like a giant rock. That had been his only plan, and it wasn't going to work. He cried out when the third finally caught up and jumped on his back, climbing up and grabbing the horns on his head, trying to pull his head up and snap at his eyes. Draal grunted and growled in fear and pain, swinging his head back and forth to the best of his ability. Finally, in a burst of wild rage and fright, he jumped forward and slammed his horns into a tree, effectively crushing the creature on top of him. It fell limp to the ground as he backed away, panting heavily. 

The two things, behind him now, screeched terribly again, and for a moment, he thought it was really going to end here. He could feel his entire mind and body slipping. It wouldn't be long before he collapsed, and he doubted he would ever wake again. However, when his breath quickened out of terror, his nose picked up a strong scent he hadn't noticed before. 

The other trolls! They were near! Sniffing again, he found their scents not even half a mile away. To his delight, he could smell Blinky and Claire strongly, as well as a few of the ones he didn't know. He couldn't help but smile in utter relief, glancing back at the predators behind him. 

One had occupied itself with eating its fallen comrade, the other hovering over it, but not joining. As soon as Draal took off, it turned its head sharply and hissed, racing after him. The other remained behind, but the bigger troll imagined it wouldn't be long before it joined the hunt. He turned his head again and tried not to focus on that, instead keeping his mind on staying ahead of this thing. He felt a little bad that he was bringing this creature upon his comrades, but he imagined they would be able to handle it better than him now. 

Draal hurried as fast as he could force his body to go. He had to reach the others before the thing could trip him up again. A few times as he ran, it got too close. Draal had to turn and swat the thing away with his one good arm, and then keep going. His vision was starting to wain in and out, and he knew he barely had any time left. With a final burst of speed, he roared as he plowed through several trees and stacks of underbrush and bushes. He stopped himself quickly, panting heavier than he ever had before, unable to run any longer.