13.

Lottie

With a loud gasp, I sit up in a panic from my sleep. At the end of my bed sat Stefan, who looked at me worried.

"What the heck happened?" I asked, my voice raspy as I rubbed my temples. My head was aching beyond any pain I had felt in a while.

"I should be asking you that. Somethings going on and we're trying to figure it out. Last night... you turned into something we've never seen. You threw Damon across the room and snapped my neck," He said softly, moving so he was sitting beside me.

"Next, on Keeping Up With the Vampires," I tried to joke, yet my smile fell when I let what he said sink in.

"I have no memory of that," I said truthfully. Before I could do anything, I began coughing and spluttering, barely able to catch a breath.

I immediately jumped out of bed, still choking. I leant over and put my hands on my knees. With one last heave, I felt my airways clear as liquid spilled from my mouth. The floor had been splattered with red blood. The iron smell completely overtook the room. Before I could react, the door had slammed opened.

"Stefan! What happened?" I heard Damon ask in a panic.

Walking over to the mirror, I looked at myself. My eyes trailed to my heart. I placed my palm against it, where I discovered its light thump. I trailed my hand to my hair, where I ruffled my messy waves.

When I dropped my hand, the clump of hand left tangled between my fingers was hard to miss. Amongst my usually blonde locks, laid three pigment-free strands. I gently picked out one of the grey hairs, going to inspect it. However, my suddenly poor eyesight made it impossible.

Turning around ever so slowly, I realised Stefan and Damon were fighting.

"She's vomiting blood, Damon! How am I suppose to know what's going on?"

"Oh please. You always act like the hero. Now is the one time you need to be one and your not!"

"If there-"

"I'm dying," I spat out, cutting Stefan off.

Both of the boys turned to me, surprised I finally spoke.

"I have a heartbeat. My hair is greying. My body feels frail and I'm vomiting blood. I'm a human again. I think my human years are catching up to me. As for the blood... The night I got turned, I was attacked and beaten. My arms and legs feel like jelly. I believe I'm internally bleeding. My injuries are catching up," I said, coughing yet again.

"This doesn't make any sense. Why would Ester do this?"

"I don't know about you Stefan, but if I wanted to hurt Niklaus, I'd use someone he cared about. Incase you've been living under a rock, something happened between him and Lottie," Damon said, as if Stefan was stupid. Which, sometimes he was.

Hearing a knock on the door, I looked up to see Rebekah, Niklaus and Elijah standing there. One of the boys must've texted or called them. Without thinking, I walked straight up to the three, ready to give them a piece of my mind.

"I have been alive for a very long time and have survived a lot. Yet, as soon as I get tangled in the web of the Mikaelson family, I find myself dying. Slowly and painfully. Find a way to fix this, or I'm taking you all down with me," I spat, panting.

I walked past them and down to the kitchen, where I retrieved a glass of water.

"Listen, Charlotte, it is obvious my mother is behind this. We are working on tracking her and ending this," Elijah spoke from behind me, startling me.

"Elijah, I feel as though I've lost myself. I've grown accustom to this new era, to the life of being immortal and to having my sole purpose be protecting Stefan and Damon. As soon as I welcome you all back into my life again, that all gets taken away from me. I have no freedom. I unknowingly gave it up when I let you all back in. You're all everywhere I go," I said truthfully.

"Of course you have freedom Charlotte-"

"But I don't. Everyone who Klaus knows is controlled by him. You yourself, along with Rebekah and poor Kol still are. He waves a metal dagger in his hands and you all bow down to what he says. Don't talk to me about freedom when you don't have any yourself. Heck, even you have used your strength to manipulate people without anyone's encouragement. I don't want to be part of this mess anymore. I want to live with my boys and that be it. As a man who has younger brothers, surely you'd understand. Having you all here so close to them... Puts them in more danger than I can protect them from. You're about to drag them into the mess of Mother Mikaelson, and I just won't have it."

I couldn't be bothered listening to anyone else talk, so I went and sat on the couch. I wrapped the fluffy blanket that was neatly folded up around my shoulders as I laid my head onto the arm rest.

"Why are you so stubborn?" Stefan complained. I could imagine him running his hands through his Edward Cullen hair.

"Women," I heard Damon mutter jokingly.

"Once I'm well and healthy, I'm going to beat your ass Damon Salvatore," I whimpered as I began to fall into a sleep, not able to fight it any longer.

I came back to Mystic Fall's to catch up with my favourite brothers. Yet here I find myself, victim of someone else's wrath. When will it end? When will I end?

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Little note:

I hope you are well! I hope you're taking care of yourself and I hope life is giving you everything you deserve.

I've personally been in a pit of emotion and instability lately, but I've reached out and gotten help and my gosh the difference I feel is incredible!

If anyone is struggling or just wants someone to talk to, I'm all ears!

Everyone has bad days. Feel free to send me a message if today is one of those days ❤️