Chapter 1

I opened my eyes, and it was like I opened them for the first time. I breathed, and it was like I breathed for the first time. I woke up, and it was like I started living for the first time. I had a shadowy chaos in my head, that consisted of shady memories and information. What was my name? Alex. Where was I? At my foster home, where everybody hated me. What day was it? The first day of high school after Christmas ...  grade 11 maybe. Everything important was lost. Where were my real parents? How did I end up there? Memories of my entire childhood. What color was my hair? What about my eyes? Who was I?

My eyes wondered at my surroundings. I was in a little room with no furniture inside it, besides the bed that I was on, a closet and a small wooden table with a school bag on it that I assumed was mine. I had those faded memories of that room, but at the same time, I felt like I was seeing it for the first time. I was so confused and clueless about the situation.

And then suddenly I felt an intense, cold wave of energy penetrate through my body, forcing away my every thought and worry. It left me with that weird sensation of absolute calm and peacefulness. Another one came. Smaller, not as intense as the first one but equally cool, that had the same impact on my body. I didn't know what it was but I didn't really care. I just enjoyed it. Unfortunately, those moments of peace didn't last long.

"Wake up!" I heard a hysterical scream outside the door that made me anxious again.I rushed out of bed mechanically and got dressed. I picked up the bag, and then, only then when I randomly noticed someone looking at me, I finally stopped. I was intrigued by that person. He had medium-long black hair with untidy bangs, white, pale skin, and red, fleshy lips. His eyes captured my gaze. They were completely black, but as I was staring at them, I started noticing shades of dark blue within them that became brighter and brighter. I was lost in those magical eyes, until I finally noticed the reflection in them, and realized the stranger I was looking at, was actually me.

"You coming?" I heard a girl's voice coming from the other side of the door.

I opened the door to find... someone there. 

It took me some moments but I eventually did recognize her even though, like everything else, seemed new. Information about her just appeared in my head like shiny stars, coming out of the fog in my mind. She was Kathrine. She was a classmate of mine. Also, she lived in the foster home with me and another five children. I hated her. I gasped at that last confession. I really didn't like that girl but I was completely clueless as to why.

"Hello?" I heard her voice again "Are you coming or what?"

"Yes, I'm coming." I answered her, thinking that if I wanted to make any sense of the situation I needed to follow someone. Even my, as it seemed, worst enemy. I unconsciously grabbed my bag and started walking behind Kathrine. She was a rather big girl with brown, long, curly hair. I also knew that she had beautiful hazel green eyes, even though I was only able to see her from behind.

I heard that hysterical voice again screaming. It belonged to Mary Roan, the owner of the foster home.

"Why is she screaming?" I asked Kathrine who was texting someone.

She regarded me strangely like I was missing something obvious.

"You act like you don't know that she always screams for no reason." She answered and looked away indifferently. But I really didn't know...

As we were about to exit the house I noticed three more children, three boys, around ten years of age, in a room that looked like a kitchen. They looked like siblings, all blond with blue eyes, but I couldn't be sure, because unlike Kathrine and Mary, they reminded me of nothing. They were all scared of Ms. Mary. I could feel it. Her screams started to hurt my ears, and the air suddenly became hot and thick. So much that I could barely breathe. I took one last glance at those poor children and exited the open door.