Chapter One - Firecracker and Glasses

Start from the beginning

His friend shook his head. "Totally worth it!"

Remus shrank back on his seat, trying not to tremble. "A-hem. Excuse me. Erm. E—excuse me...! Um, I—I'm sorry but—I--I..." He had talked plenty with his parents but now facing two people he had never met before, everything became so much more difficult and the words got tangled up. "Prefer--alone," he finally managed, knowing he probably sounded like a madman.

They both looked at him and the one standing gave a brilliant smile. "Apologies again, you see we're in a bit of a spot of trouble and just need to hide out for a few minutes."

"Shan't be too long, I imagine, a goon like that should lose interest any second now," said the one still on the floor. Then his face went quite white as someone began knocking on the door. "Errp."

The two of them backed away, looking anxious. "Think it's him?" whispered the first boy.

An older boy shouted for someone to open the door and the one who had been on the floor gave a miserable sigh. "Yeah, that's him. Guess I'll have to take the beating. My poor face!"

Remus glanced at them then went over to the door, feeling a little sorry for them despite the fact it was pretty clear they got themselves into the situation. He took in a deep breath then opened the door a couple inches so he could poke his face out. Three older Gryffindors were standing there, one of them looking terrifyingly strong. "C—can I help you?" He found if he focused really hard, the words worked.

The burly one smiled. "Sorry to bother you, kiddo, but mind if we take a look in there?"

"How come?" Remus whispered, knitting his brow and frowning as he concentrated on speaking. "Did--did--did something happen?"

"We're just looking for some first-years..." He tried to look past him and Remus shifted the door so he couldn't.

"I'm a first-year," he said, sounding afraid. It wasn't that difficult to do. Especially since he was doing one of the things his mother specifically told him not to do. Getting into the middle of something he shouldn't, drawing attention.

The Gryffindor gave a reassuring smile. "Not you. Are you alone in there?"

"Uh-huh. D--don't feel well."

It only took him a couple seconds to decide Remus was telling the truth. One quick look at his pale, translucent skin, limp hair, dark circles under his eyes, thin face. "All right, thanks. Sorry to bother you. C'mon guys, let's check the rest of the carriage..."

Remus shut the door and then turned around, jumping as both boys were practically on top of him. Far too close.

"Bloody brilliant!" exclaimed the one who had been worried about his face.

The other one examined Remus up and down. "Are you really sick?"

Their closeness to him made him feel beyond uncomfortable and he scurried back to his seat, drawing himself up and into the corner. "Nothing catching," he promised then found the words harder to hold onto now that he wasn't just making excuses. "Erm, you c-can stay in--in--for... for a few-- m--m--until... they go to--carriage..."

That's all they seemed to need and both of them bounced into the seats across from him. "We'll go shortly," said the first boy and then the two of them began talking and giggling with each other. Remus watched them for a couple minutes, curiosity getting the better of him and asked what they had done to cause them to be hunted. That caused more giggles. Then the first one said, "Firecrackers."

"I threw a firecracker into the stall when he was using it," the second boy said rather proudly. "The loo," he added, seeing the smaller boy didn't seem to know what exactly he meant by stall. Remus put a hand over his mouth at that and he wanted to ask why but the first boy started talking again.