Chapter One - Firecracker and Glasses

Start from the beginning

His dad returned to let him know the trunk and owl had been secured in the luggage and pet compartments respectively. He gave his son's shoulder a squeeze which was more than the boy expected from him, as he was not a very touchy-feely sort of person. His mother more than made up for that and indeed began hugging him once more, kissing his forehead multiple times as her tears splashed onto his shirt. He heard some other kids snickering at him and a blush rose into his cheeks.

"Goodbye," he said, wrangling himself free and then shouldering the school satchel he had packed for the trip. "I'll write to you as soon as I can. I love you!" He quickly got onto the train before she could start crying on him again, and, making himself as small as possible, began looking for a compartment. An empty one. He knew it was a bit selfish however he wasn't ready to deal with other people. In fact the thought of dealing with other people made him want to vomit. He'd have to soon, and would be sharing a dorm with other boys which—Merlin—was the most terrifying thing of all. And the classes would have more people. Double Merlin.

Until then... He found an empty compartment and slipped in, locking the door behind him as well as shutting the curtains. He just stared at the door for a second or two then climbed onto a seat, peering out the window. His parents saw him and began waving. He waved back, shouting another goodbye before sliding down onto his butt. Other students were leaning out their windows waving at their families but he didn't want to be doing that for the remaining minutes until the train started.

This is it. He ran his fingers along the seat, wondering how many other students had sat where he was now sitting, how many felt as afraid as he did. He knew how many were exactly like him, though: a big fat zero. Unprecedented. Can't happen. Impossible! Words thrown around at the meeting Professor Dumbledore had had with his parents a couple weeks ago. Words from his mother and father. Dumbledore's words had been along the lines of, Safe. Promise. Deserving. He kept smiling at Remus over the gobstones game they were playing (which Remus won every round of) and kept using words that didn't sound like they should be said about him. Exemplary talent.

He gave a bit of a frightened yelp as the train whistle went off, and clamped his hands over his ears. Then the train rolled out of the station, heading north, taking Remus Lupin towards Hogwarts.

*

The first hour of travel time was spent with his nose in a book, one of his all time favorites he had picked for the trip, for the comfortable familiarity. He had read the adventures of Bilbo and the dwarves a multitude of times (as well as the other books of course) yet it never ceased to be enjoyable, even the sad bits. During this time there were several knocks at the door, all of which he ignored, all of which went away. Then at about twelve-thirty his stomach growled loudly.

He reluctantly set the book down and began going through the bag for the food his mother had packed. Two bacon sandwiches, a bag of crisps, an apple, and two bottles of water. He unwrapped one sandwich and started to take a bite when there was a rather desperate sounding knock at the door. He frowned, trying to ignore it. The knocking stopped and then he heard someone on the other side of the door say something muffled yet familiar... the syllables sorted themselves out in his ear a split-second too late for him to do anything about it.

The door swung open, as it had been the unlocking charm he heard, and two boys tumbled in. They both started laughing and then one of them apologized to the small boy as he slammed the door shut and relocked it. "We were in sore need of a hideout!" he said as he turned lean against the door as if to offer further protection.

The other boy was still on the floor, laughing. "His face, his stupid face!"

"Once he catches us, you're dead," said the one still standing.