Six

Ember’s words haunted me for the rest of the week. But I was so determined to get even with the people that hurt me that I didn’t consider how my actions would hurt anyone else.

I won’t lie: I was blinded by the illusion of sweet, sweet victory. I could have practically tasted it.

On Sunday, I was dressed in a pallid yellow dress that my mother had chosen for me. I looked like a five-year-old. Before leaving my room, I made sure to look at my reflection in the mirror. My braided hair was tied back in a tight bun and my dress looked like it came from the ‘50s. From that day onward, I vowed to never ask my mom to find clothes for me again.

My mother was preparing the food for our family in the kitchen while my father decorated the backyard with adornments and small lights. In the early morning, my father and I had set up the table and chairs in the backyard for an outside brunch.

The serviettes and cloths were pastel colours, and the plates and bowls were white. Medium-sized vases with violets and daises were placed strategically on the table. My mother made sure to rake the leaves littering the backyard and thoroughly cleaned the house. My mom really went all out this year.

Besides helping my father set up the table and chairs, I was given one task: to invite my family in and guide them to the backyard. The doorbell rang and I opened the door. The smiling faces of the Forrest Family greeted me. Uncle Daniel had a bottle of wine in his hands.

“Sawubona, Delilah!” Aunt Thando greeted me with a hug.

“Hi, Aunt Thando, it’s really nice to see you again,” I said hugging her back. I let go of her and grinned at my uncle. “Hey, Uncle Daniel.”

My aunt and uncle were the nicest people I knew. And they were absolutely perfect for each other but Aunt Zama didn’t think so. She believed that Africans were meant to be with Africans and Caucasians were meant to be with Caucasians. She always said, “We simply do not mix.” But Aunt Thando and Uncle Daniel were pretty much inseparable and tried to avoid Aunt Zama’s judging eyes as much they could.

“What’s good, favourite niece?” he said, also giving me a hug.

“Don’t tell Yandisa that,” I joked.

“Wouldn’t even think of it,” he said, pulling back. “If Zama found out I said that . . . let’s just say Zama scares me.”

“Same,” I whispered. Straightening up, I said to them, “Do you need me to take you the backyard?”

“Backyard?” Aunt Thando frowned. “Why are we going there?”

“We’re eating there. My mother is making this Easter special for some reason.”

She scoffed. “No doubt to please the Ice Queen. You don’t need to take us. I remember where it is.”

The moment they walked past me, I was lifted into the air and twirled around.

“Delilah Nzimande!”

It was my cousin Robert yelling my name. He was as enthusiastic as his parents and always had a smile on his face.

“Oh! Robert, put me down before I kick you in the shin!” I squealed.

He did as I said and set me on my feet. “So violent.” Robert was at least a head taller than me so I had to crane my neck so I could look at him.

“You have a beard!” I exclaimed and touched it.

“Yes, yes, university changes a man,” he replied dramatically.

“You’ve been in university for two months.”

“Hush, little girl. It still changes you. So . . . is Ember coming?”