Chapter Seventeen

The weeks passed by quickly, as Elle and Will spent a lot of time together in the evenings. Their favorite spot was in the North Tower, where they talked and admired the mountains beyond Hogwarts.

Every time they kissed, Elle hoped to find the feeling she felt when she kissed Fred, but it was never there. Spending time with Will kept her mind off of Fred though, and that's what she needed.

It was finally December and the Yule Ball was just a few short weeks away. Alicia's mom worked for a magical boutique that made evening gowns and other clothes and offered to send Alicia, Angelina, and Elle gowns for the Yule Ball. They each sent in their measurements and style of dress they preferred and were now just waiting for them to arrive.

Elle trusted that Mrs. Spinnet would send them beautiful gowns because she had great taste, but without her help, Elle wasn't sure how she would have gotten her gown. The other girls were able to write to their mothers and ask for something to be sent, but since Elle didn't have that option, she was forever grateful for Alicia's mom.

On the Friday two weeks before the Yule Ball, their gowns arrived. Alicia's family eagle owl carried the package gracefully down to the table and gave her an affectionate nibble. After eating a bite of toast from Alicia's breakfast, it flew off. The girls had an open period before their next class, so they quickly ran off to the Gryffindor common room. The boys were dumbfounded as to what had come in the mail that made the girls leave so fast, but they just shrugged and continued eating.

The girls were out of breath by the time they reached their room. Elle carefully opened the package using her wand and levitated the dressed in front of them. They were absolutely beautiful.

Elle, Alicia, and Angelina quickly undressed and helped each other into their gowns. Alicia received a simple, black strapless gown that was fitted around her chest then flared gently to the ground. Elle could see Mrs. Spinnet calling it classic and elegant and wasn't surprised that it was what she picked for her daughter. Angelina was sent a ruffled lavender gown that swayed delicately with every movement. Elle slipped on a pale blue, satin gown that was cinched right above her waist and flowed out nicely below. She loved how the dress moved with her.

They spent the next hour deciding what jewelry they were going to wear and how they wanted to do their hair. But then the fun was over, and they had to head to Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Moody. On their way to the classroom, each of their minds were filled with thoughts about how fun the ball was going to be.