Chapter Fourteen

A week had gone by and it was time for each school's champion to be chosen. Elle woke up extra early that day. She was equally excited and nervous to find out who would be Hogwarts' champion, and she spent a little extra time making sure her hair and makeup looked extra good that day. After getting dressed and ready for her Friday classes, she walked into the common room to find that she wasn't the only one awake.

Many younger students were sitting on the couches chatting animatedly and she saw an older student who had entered his name walking down from his dormitory. She smiled at him and said a quick "good luck" as he walked by. He gave a nervous smile and replied, "you too".

Deciding the common room was too busy and made her more anxious, she made her way down to the Great Hall for breakfast. That day she had double Defense Against the Dark Arts and Potions to get through before dinner and the selection of champions. Hoping that throwing herself into her schoolwork would distract her from her anxiety about the tournament, Elle munched on some toast and started preparing for their DADA lecture.

Soon the Great Hall was lively and full of excited students. While in the middle of reviewing defensive enchantments, she felt someone sit down next to her. She looked up from her DADA notebook and saw Cedric who was sporting a goofy grin.

"Hey!" Elle said, giving Cedric a big hug.

"Nervous?" Cedric asked.

"A little. You?" Elle replied.

"No. For some reason I have a good feeling that it's going to be one of us," Cedric replied quietly.

Elle questioned him and said, "What makes you say that?"

Cedric shrugged. "I don't know, just a feeling." Then he got up and said, "See you in potions".

She knew Cedric was just messing with her to build up her anticipation for that evening, but she was now even more excited to find out who would be competing. Even though she really wanted to be chosen, she would be equally as happy if it were Cedric or Angelina.

As Cedric walked away, Elle's Gryffindor companions walked up to their usual spot at the Gryffindor table. Angelina looked like she was going to be sick, and her friends were trying to tell her that she would do great if she were chosen.

Exasperated, Angelina asked, "Elle if I get picked would you help me?"

Elle was surprised that Angelina was so nervous to be chosen, but she replied, "Of course! But I think you would do amazing all on your own, too."

"Really?" asked Angelina.

"Yes! You're a brilliant witch, Angelina," Elle replied, giving Angelina a tight hug. And with that, the group watched the stress slowly leave Angelina's facial expression.

Everyone watched Elle soothe their friend with such ease and genuine kindness. They were all worried she was going to be upset the whole day, and were relieved that Elle was able to calm her down.

***

After a long day of classes, it was finally time for everyone to eat dinner and for the Triwizard Tournament champions to be selected.

Fred, George, Alicia, and Elle all walked to the Great Hall together from potions to meet the others at the Gryffindor table. Elle's hands were shaking from either nerves or excitement, she wasn't sure which. She shoved her hands in her pocket try to stop the trembling, with no luck.

At dinner they all talked about how fun it was going to be to watch the tournament and guess what each task will be. By the time dinner was over, Elle had decided that she would be just as happy to watch the tournament as she would be to participate in it. Alicia had even heard a rumor that something fun would be happening during Christmas Break so they would all be staying at Hogwarts this year.