( chapter eleven )

( THE STAR SPANGLED MAN WITH A PLAN! ) 

Dear Edith,

        They have me wearing tights. I know what you're probably doing, giggling at the thought of me in show tights. To help the image, they're dark blue, like the flag. My costume is basically the flag. I'm going to be Captain America.

        I know it's only been a couple of days, but I already miss you, Edith. I miss your hugs and your smile and I keep on drawing you over and over again. 

        I'm going to be heading to the first tour date soon and I'm in no way prepared for this. They have a script and I have no idea what I'm saying. I'm scared I'm going to freeze in front of the audiences. Plus, I'm not just going to embarrass myself in front of New York's population, I'm touring around the country. 

        I wish you could have come with me. It would have made this much more enjoyable. Plus, if I would have been able to, I would have convinced them to let you be a showgirl. You'd be the prettiest Star Spangled Singer in the whole chorus. 

I love you.

Eternally yours,

Steve.

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

Dear Steve,

        Oh, of course you're in tights! You're a showgirl yourself, love. Walking on that stage and saying your piece, you're a performer, Steve! Maybe this was your calling! Instead of being a comic book illustrator, you're meant to be in the dazzling lights and getting applauded. 

        When you come to New York with this little show, I demand tickets, Steve! Tickets! I have to see you in those damn tights. I demand it. If you're to be Captain America, then I want to meet Captain America. Though, I'd hate to tell you, I don't think I'll like him as much as Steve Rogers. 

        I have to say though, I'm collecting the stamps from your letters. I have never seen this many and it's honestly a pleasure. Plus, this way, I have a souvenir from the places you go without you spending an outrageous amount of money on me. I'll just have the stamps, thanks. 

        I miss you too. And I want to see these drawings. I wish I could do something artistic, but alas, the only gift I can give you is help fixing clothes. Which, come to think of it, instead of being a show girl, why don't I come and help fix those tights of yours. 

I love you.

Your Darling,

Edith.

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

Dear Edith, 

        I stepped on someone's toe today. Completely on accident, but I got them with the heel of my costume boots. I felt so bad. I guess I'm just not used to taking up so much space yet. Being big is weirder when you're used to being small.