( chapter seven )

( I WANT YOU FOR THE U

( I WANT YOU FOR THE U.S. ARMY! )

EDITH STRESSED ABOUT WHAT SHE WAS GOING TO WEAR AS SOON AS BUCKY AND STEVE HAD DROPPED HER OFF AT HER HOME. While the boys could simply put on a dress shirt and some slacks with a nicer jacket, she had to worry about her and her dress and the fact that she was making an impression on Bucky's date. Which, maybe this Connie would become a friend of her's? 

The dress she had chosen was emerald green and went down to her knees. It came in at the waist and hugged her figure, but then poofed out as it reached the bottom. Since it was short sleeved, she made sure she grabbed one of her sweaters that matched, but on the black Oxford shoes she had kept clean in her closet. 

Edith checked herself on last time in the mirror, smoothing out her dress and making sure she looked all right, before grabbing her purse and rushing out the door, locking the apartment behind her. She made her way down the New York sidewalk towards the Expo, remembering that Bucky had told her to meet them by a statue by the Globe. 

When she got there, a little earlier than the time Bucky gave, who she assumed was Connie was already waiting there. Edith smiled, held her hand out and introduced herself, "Edith Rutherford, I'm Bucky's friend's date." 

Connie, who was brunette and absolutely gorgeous in a pale pink dress, smiled widely as she took her hand, "Connie Davis. It's nice to meet you!"

The two of them got to know each other a little more as they stood around waiting, looking around every so often to see if Bucky and Steve were close by. Connie was sweet and funny and she had met Bucky at a grocery store when he helped her carry her bags home. They talked about what they were excited to see at the Expo when Connie turned and her face lit up. Edith turned to follow her gaze, and sure enough, Bucky was waving, Steve walking beside him. 

He didn't look any different than usual, but he somehow looked better. Some of his hair was falling on his forehead, he was dressed in a white shirt with a tie, his jacket looked warm. She could see his smile from here, and tried to calm her racing heart by mumbling to herself, under her breath, "Everything is fine, it's just a small crush."

Lies, her brain supplied. She pushed the thoughts from her mind just as Steve and Bucky join the two of them. Connie and Bucky hugged, smiling widely at each other as Steve approached her with a beaming smile. Oh, God, he was just so gosh darn pretty!

"Hey, Edith," Steve spoke up, his fingers moving to brush the piece of hair that fell on his forehead. Edith watched the movement of his hand in what felt a little bit like awe. 

"I'm in love with you," came out of her mouth instead of hey, Steve, Edith freezing as the horror dug its claws into her spine. Steve was blushing, looking at her with wide eyes as Edith stared at him, her mouth agape, trying to form some words to rectify what she just blurted out. "I-"