Chapter 25.

Liam drove home, silent tears streaming down his face and he wiped them away with the back of his hand every now and then. What Nialls dad said was…beyond hurtful. He was so deluded and resentful. Did he not know Niall made Liam happy? Did he not know, that two minutes before the meal, Liam was the one who said he wanted to be careful? He guessed not.

Just as Liam had stepped into his house, the door opened and Liam spun round, in hope that it was Niall. He was wrong. Instead, it was Andy. For once, Liam didn’t feel like talking to him. “Hey, Liam. I just wanted to say thanks for- mate, what’s wrong?” Andy asked immediately, noticing his best friend’s tear-stained face.

“It’s nothing, Andy. I don’t feel like talking just now.” Liam sniffed, wiping his cheeks dry. “You know that’s not true. You’re always willing to talk to me.” Andy joked as they both sat down on the sofa, in hope that he’d cheered his best friend up. He failed.

“Liam seriously, what’s wrong? You know I’m here if you need me.” Andy said seriously as Liam choked out dry, raspy sobs. “It-it’s Nialls dad.” Liam finally croaked after a few hiccups. Andy gave an encouraging nod. “I just met him, and- he thinks I’m the biggest screw-up ever.” Liam croaked. “I take it those weren’t exactly his right choice of words?” Andy asked knowingly and Liam nodded.

“He basically said, that because I’m a stupid student teacher, he thinks I can fuck anybody I please.” Liam sobbed, tears streaming down his face again. Andy bit his lip, unsure of what to say. For once, Andy was speechless. He didn’t even want to make a joke out of it because he knew Liam would snap at him and plus, it wasn’t exactly something anyone would joke about.

Andy cleared his throat a little. “Liam, do you remember when you got rid of all those bullies back in high school?” he asked hopefully and Liam grunted. “I don’t think my past will help me right now, Andy.” he said miserably. “Yeah, but you do remember. Right?” Liam gave a small nod. “So what did you do to get rid of those bullies then?” Andy questioned. Liam paused.

“I found their weaknesses. I fought back.” Liam sniffed. “Exactly. So what are you going to do with Nialls dad?” Andy grinned. “I don’t think I could do that, Andy. Bob’s not a bully. He’s still Nialls dad.” Liam said. Andy ran a hand through his hair impatiently. Sometimes he wished he could get through to his best friend with a click of his fingers.

“Look, Liam. Nialls dad sounds like a right dirty old git who clearly doesn’t see that his own son is happy for once. I know you live Niall, and Niall doesn’t give a damn that you’re a teacher. I know he loves you, and you’ll fight for him.” Andy said fiercely, which Liam thought was a bit dramatic but it was the truth. He would fight for Niall if he had too. If that’s what it’d take.

Liam’s phone boxed in his pockets, interrupting his and Andy’s heart-to-heart. Liam pulled out his phone as it continued to vibrate and saw Nialls name displayed on the screen. His fingers hovered over the green button for a minute before he rejected the call. He really didn’t want to talk to anybody just now. He was to upset. Besides, he could speak to Niall anymore anyway.

“Give me that.” Andy demanded, snatching the phone off of Liam when it began to ring again. Liam didn’t bother taking the phone off him. “Niall, it’s me, Andy- whoa! Slow down, mate. I’m not Liam.” Andy said quickly through the phone. Liam lifted his sore and puffy eyes to Andy in confusion.

“Right, yeah. No, he’s told me everything, don’t worry about it. You want me to say that to him? You can say it yourself…” Andy held out the phone to Liam who shook his head. Andy gave Liam such a look that Liam immediately took the phone, feeling somehow frightened. “Niall?” Liam croaked.