Chapter 16.

Niall woke up the next morning with Liam by his side. His breath hitched. He had kept his promise after all. It made Niall feel all fluttery inside. Ever since what happened with Luke, he was unsure whether he was able to trust anybody again but Liam...Liam was different. After all, he was the one who had stuck with Niall through thick and thin.

He stared at Liam who was lying next to him. He looked so peaceful, yet he was debating whether to wake him up or not just so he could see those chocolate-brown eyes of his. Niall didn't know what Liam did to him have of the time. The crush he had on Liam wasn't simply because he was fit. Liam was kind, caring and generous. Everything Liam did for Niall he never seemed to ask for anything in return.

Nevertheless, Niall was still debating on how to wake Liam whether with a gentle stroke on his arm or a quick peck on the lips. Both seemed optional for Niall. Sighing, Niall went for the latter and reached over for Liam’s lips only to wince in pain as pain seared through his ribs. Damn ribs. The doctor had said that they weren't broken or fractured or anything like that, but just badly bruised. Except to Niall it felt like they had been fractured.

Liam’s eyes fluttered open at the strangled sound that had formed in Nialls mouth and frowned at him in confusion. "Just in a bit of pain." he admitted and Liam sighed. "Where about?" Liam asked gently and Niall lifted up the top half of his hospital gown to show him the large purples, swollen bruises. To Nialls surprise, Liam reached over and placed a warm hand on his side and began to massage his ribs.

Liam was like magic. Soon, the pain had eased but Liam still continued to massage his sides. It was almost comforting. Niall felt so relaxed and comfortable that he could feel his eyes drooping and his head rolling onto Liam’s shoulder and soon he was asleep.

When he woke up again, the bed was oddly empty. Liam had disappeared but his mum was sitting down on a plump chair in front of him. Niall missed Liam. He only had the white bed sheets for comfort. And to be honest, they weren't very comforting. "Where's Liam?" Niall frowned, propping himself up in the bed. "He went home. But don't worry, he'll be back around dinner time. He just had to finish some school work." his mum assured him.

Niall nodded. “You spoke to him then?" Niall asked and Maura new he wasn't just talking about yesterday. She sighed. "I had to, Niall. He's a teacher. I was just surprised you fell for him." she replied. Niall gulped nervously. "I thought you would've told him that we couldn't be together." Niall mumbled.

"I was going to." she admitted and Niall whimpered. "But I knew you'd probably see him one way or another." she answered. Niall frowned. "You mean, you already knew I liked him?"

"Or the other way around." Maura corrected him and Niall frowned. Maura chuckled. "Honey, you don't all those study sessions were just for you to learn Biology, do you?" she smirked. Niall could feel his cheeks heating up. Sure, Niall and Liam had kissed more than once and sure, Niall definitely had feelings for Liam but he wasn't sure Liam returned those feelings only because he hadn't made a move on him yet. Then he remembered all the things Liam had said before they kissed for the second time. Oh.

Maura gave an exasperated sigh, noticing Nialls stunned silence. "Put it this way, Niall. Liam looks at you in a way Luke has never. I've seen it during your studying. He's definitely smitten for you." Maura explained. Niall was about to open his mouth again when the door clicked open and there stood Liam. Nialls eyes widened. He couldn't help it. Ever since Maura had told him this, he had felt oddly fluttery. Good fluttery.

His stomach kept churning every time he thought of Liam and it felt like butterflies were doing backflips in his stomach and he always seemed to blush. Was that normal? "Sorry, was I interrupting something?" Liam apologised, noticing Nialls puzzled expression. “No, not at all. I was about to head home actually." Maura assured him, standing up.

She turned to her son. "I'll see you tomorrow." she said and pecked Niall on his forehead and left quietly. When she was gone, Liam turned round and flashed a radiant smile. "How are you?" he asked softly, sitting down in Maura’s seat. "Bit better." Niall admitted with a small smile. There was an awkward silence in which Liam rubbed his palms against his laps, as if nervous.

With a smirk on his face, Niall scooted aside and threw covers his way and patted on the empty space beside him. Liam chuckled and crawled in next to the younger the boy, enjoying the warmth of him. With his arm around Niall, Liam asked "Want to watch football?" pointing to the small TV that hung on the wall in the corner. Niall nodded eagerly- not being able to trust the sound of his voice while being this close to Liam- and Liam turned on the TV.

Half an hour into the Man U game, both Liam and Niall were yelling and shouting at the TV like there was no tomorrow...just when a nurse came in and the two boys quietened down. "It's good to see you have your energy back, Mr Horan." The nurse beamed. Niall cleared his throat and pulled the hospital blanket back up. "Are you ready to take the leads out?" the nurse asked brightly. Niall had almost forgotten the pieces of plastic tucked in his nose because he had been breathing so well recently. Niall was just grateful he wasn't given an oxygen mask but then again, the leads were starting to itch him.

Niall glanced at Liam who gave an encouraging and reluctantly, Niall nodded to the nurse. He closed his eyes when he felt the leads being taken out and when they were finally out, Niall started chocking and gagging and the nurse looked around frantically until she found a brown paper sick bowl and thrusted it under Nialls chin who threw up violently. "Don't worry, that's completely normal." the nurse assured Liam as Liam looked worriedly at the sick boy beside him as he made circular motions on his back to comfort him.

The nurse had finally left after she had cleaned Nail up and changed the IV tabs on his wrist and updated his notes. Niall started to stare at the beautiful boy next to him and suddenly noticed all his beautiful features. He could see the tiny birth mark placed below his neck and the jaggy lines of his shaved beard.

"What?" Liam asked softly, noticing how Niall was staring. Without thinking, Niall reached up and stroked Liam’s jaw so he'd turn round to face him and pressed his lips to his. But two seconds into the kiss, Liam pulled away. "Your mother said we should keep the kissing to a minimum until you feel better." Liam sighed, noticing Nialls disappointed face.

Niall desperately wanted to kiss Liam, but he knew she was right. They had to wait. Niall had to keep reminding himself that Liam was new to this and probably still felt awkward. But if Liam wanted to take things slow, they'd take things slow. Niall slowly felt his eyes drop closed and he was sound asleep on Liam’s shoulder once again.

__________________

Sorry it's short! I've been really busy over the last few days, I've have dozens of homework to do and stuff like that. But whattcha think? 15 comments please? Please make comments detailed! Love all your comments as usual. Thank you so much guys, love you all :) xxx