ix. the reunion

Beginne am Anfang

"I could for you. We can just leave it for Thor to save." Loki paused and added begrudgingly, "He's good at that sort of thing."

"I'm not asking you to," Amora said, placing a hand on his chest, "And Thor always needs help in his world-saving endeavors."

Loki gave a mock sigh. "I suppose you're right."

He took a step back and offered his arm. "Would you like me to show you around Asgard?"

Amora gave him an incredulous look. "I've only been away for four years, Loki."

"Yes," Loki relented with a smile, "but I'd like to show you the changes I've made."

"Oh, like that ugly statue?"

Loki's eyebrows shot up, affronted. "Excuse me?"

"Please understand," Amora said, patting his cheek, "You're face is wonderful, but that statue is horrendous."

"If you don't like the statue, you should see the play?"

Under the cover of an invisibility spell, the two strolled through the streets of Asgard. The walk was pleasant and peaceful despite the prophecy that hung over their heads. Loki stopped periodically to point out a subtle improvement in infrastructure or commerce that he had instigated.

He basked in her attention as she gave comments and admired his work. Amora smiled as she listened to him explain the improvements to the network of Asgard's tradesmen.

Loki truly thrived in this role. There was almost the same spark in his eyes from the mischief of their old pranks. Almost.

Amora tightened her hold on his arm and leaned into his side, resting her head on a shoulder.

The walk back to the palace was quiet as both soaked in the other's presence. Loki pressed a quick kiss to Amora's temple, and his gaze flickered down to the black cloak billowing behind her.

"What are they like?" he asked, "The Norns."

"They're not old and malicious like the stories say," Amora spoke, "I think the old adventurers only said that because the Norns didn't give them what they wanted."

"But they want to wipe out our home," Loki said with a frown, "That's the highest form of dark magic that I've ever heard of."

"There is no such thing as dark magic." The words slipped out of her lips naturally. "Only magic that is too great for some to accept."

Her eyes snapped into focus as the halls grew familiar. Voices echoed from down the corridor, and Amora turned toward the sound and gasped.

A few healers milled about the healing hall, but there was no particular rush or hurry. Nothing out of the ordinary. But one healer caught Amora's eye.

Amora detached herself from Loki's arm and walked toward the healer, lowering her invisibility spell.

"Ana," she called, a grin spreading across her face.

Her former apprentice turned, and the girl's face lit up. She set her holopad down and rushed into Amora's arms as a happy cry escaped her lips.

"You're back."

Amora pulled back and held Ana at arm's length, taking in the appearance of the girl who was no longer just a girl. She no longer wore the simpler clothes of a apprentice; she wore the new and crisp uniform of a practicing healer.

"Look at you," Amora gushed, "I forget how fast you young ones grow. You're a proper healer now."

Ana nodded, beaming with a light that would rival the sun. "I am! Eir promoted me last year."

Amora drew her in for another quick hug. "I'm so proud of you."

A spark of light caught her attention, nearly making her jolt. A healer made her way around, lighting torches as the sun grew low. Amora tightened her hold on Ana at the sight of the flame.

"Amora?" Ana spoke softly, "Are you alright?"

Blinking, Amora released the girl and said, "Of course. I've just missed you."

Ana's smile softened. "I've missed you, too." She glanced down. "I wish you could have been here to see my ceremony."

Amora's chest twinged with guilt, and she took the girl's hands in her own. "I'm here now."

I won't let you burn.

A throat cleared behind her, and Amora glanced back to see Loki, invisible to all eyes except hers.

She squeezed Ana's hands. "I have some things that I need to take care of, but I'll come and see you again."

"Okay." Ana nodded. "Do you want me to tell Emelía that you're back?"

"Please."

"Ana," a passing blonde healer called, "you have a patient in partition nine."

The blonde looked up from her holopad and stopped.

Amora offered a nod. "Vanna."

She almost expected a sneer or barbed words, but the healer only nodded back. "Amora."

Failing to come up with any more words of greeting, Amora said goodbye to Ana and left.

Loki held out his arm to continue down the hall. "Well, that was...different."

"Yes." Amora looked back to where Vanna was speaking to Ana. "But it was better than our last interaction."

The pair retired to the king's study. It was bigger and emptier than Frigga's study. Amora entered hesitantly, having never been in the room before.

Loki conjured an extra chair and dragged it over to the large desk. As Amora sat down, he handed her a holopad.

"The Ragnarok prophecy is ancient," she said, scrolling through the files on the device. "We'll need to look through the books in the Hall of Yggdrasil."

Loki waved a hand, and a portion of the wall opened to reveal the soft light of the Hall of Yggdrasil. "Lucky for us, this study has direct access to it."

"Great." Amora smiled. "Let's save our realm."

* * *

I'm back! The hiatus was kind of unintentional, but that happens.

If you hadn't noticed, I've been reading some soft fics as of late and it kind of bled into this one. But it was wonderful to write!

I'm happy to bring back some familiar faces, and I'm so excited to be getting close to the events of Ragnarok and Infinity War! I hope you guys are too!
Or not. For obvious reasons. ;)

Thanks guys!