Childhood Lovers. 16

Start from the beginning

After the words left my mouth, I realized how blunt and painfully honest they were. I know I probably offended her in some way, but I couldn’t let myself become a doormat, giving her the opportunity to just walk all over me.

“I understand,” she said, dolefully. We sat in silence for a while, till she spoke again. “Hayden, why do you keep giving out second chances and forgiveness? Tyler told me what you did for him, not ratting him out to Chase. And obviously, you forgave Chase.”

I thought about this for a while. Why did I do this? Why show sympathy to those who didn’t deserved it?

“I don’t really know. I mean, in life we’re all going to make mistakes, but why should be penalized to such a degree? If someone is truly sorry for what they did and learned their lesson, they should be given the chance to make it up, and prove that they’ve changed. I’m willing to do that, if they know that they aren’t easily off the hook and their wont be that third chance. And it’s like baseball, you know three strikes. You do it the first time, strike. You do it the second time, strike. You do it the third time, you’re out, game over, you’re done. In my book, the second strike puts you on the line, because I’m willing to forgive, but not forget.”

Jessica sat there, enamored. “Wow, Hayden. I don’t think I could ever be like that, like you. You’re honestly a saint. If I was in your position, I would have wanted revenge. You’re such a good person, and I’m just a monster,” her voice trembled, as tears streamed down her face, ruining her mascara. I slipped my arm around her.

“Jessica, you can do that. Learn that revenge doesn’t solve anything. Two wrongs don’t make a right – an eye for an eye only makes the world blind. Deep down, I know you’re a good person who makes bad decisions. A bad person wouldn’t have come here today and apologized for their actions, a good person would have,” I said, trying to reassure her. “Come on, let’s go wash your face with some cool water.”

Heading to the bathroom, we splashed water on her face until she felt better.

“Can I apologize for another thing?” Jessica asked, once we were back on the couch. I nodded for her to proceed. “I want to apologize for Tyler’s behavior. It would be better coming from him, but he’s too damn proud to admit his mistakes. Tyler can be really arrogant and selfish, but he’s got a good heart. You should see him around kids, it’s one of the sweetest things. But, you should know, that I’ve never seen him so love sick over one girl. Tyler doesn’t date, doesn’t love, doesn’t even care about most girls, but you seem to be the exception. It may be sick and cruel, but this is his way of showing he cares about you.”

This was a perfect example of how I couldn’t trust her. If she hadn’t betrayed me, I could assume that she was telling the truth. But, far as I know, this could have been another trick.

“Strange,” I said, trying to avoid continuing the conversation.

Jessica sensed my the tension. “Well I should get going.” She gathered her things and headed towards the front door. “See you around. And, thank you.”

My lips curled into a warm yet small smile. “You’re welcome.”

When I closed my door, I felt a sudden urge and need to tell someone what happened. Screw shopping, I needed to vent!

Pulling out my cell phone, I dialed Carmen. “Hey are you free right now? I really need to talk to someone.”

“I’m working right now, but come over anyway, and I’ll just take my break,” Carmen said, brightly.

“I’ll be right over!”

Rushing, I headed for the pier, hyped on the feeling that I was going to burst soon if I didn’t talk about what happened. Pushing through the crowd of people loitering on the Pier, I made my way to the Sandy Shell. It wasn’t dinner rush hour yet, so I was able to waltz right into the restaurant.

Spotting Carmen, I pulled her over and let my mouth run off. She sat there patiently, listening closely, and waiting till I was done to speak.

“Holy shit,” she said. “Who knew!”

“Dude, I need you say more than that, I’m dying! I have no idea what to think about this,” I said, exasperated.

“I think that Jessica never fails to surprise me, but who knows. Keep close tabs on her, and see how things play out. As for Tyler . . . well I’m not really sure. But you should confront him about it, about everything, because things need to be sorted out. If he does really like you, we’ve got problems because he’s a mad trickster, who doesn’t listen to anybody but himself. If he doesn’t like you, then we’ve also got problems, because that means Jessica and him are up to something, contradicting everything that happened.” Shit, she was good. Obviously, I had chosen the right person to vent to.

“But when?”

“How about right now. He’s sitting right over there,” she pointed towards the bar, where Tyler sitting. I must have been so out of control and pre-occupied that I didn’t even notice him when I walked in. “When he’s not working, partying, or fucking girls, he’s here ‘supporting the family business.’”

Fully energized by the situation, I marched up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He swung around to face me, and brightened up.

“What’s your deal? Do you like me or do you not? Am I just this girl who you have an ultimate conquest for, or do you actually want to get to know me? Or am I just another victim for some stupid competition? Is that it? Are you trying to prove to Chase that you're better than him? That you can get more girls? Steal his girls? Is that what it is? I don’t even know who you are! Are you this player who feels the need to be jerk or are you this sweet guy who loves to play with kids? Are you a loyal or backstabbing friend? Answer me in one word.” Low on air, I huffed. Tapping my foot, I waited impatiently for my answer.

Quickly, Tyler grabbed hold of me, pulled me close, and kissed me. My entire body relaxed, not aware of what was happening. When I came to my realization, I pushed him off.

“I don’t kiss girls, they kiss me. That should answer your questions,” he said, before walking away.

--------------

feeeedback please! alot has happened in this chapter so i want to know all of your opinions! please vote, comment, facebook like, and tweet!! love you guys!!but seriously, tell me what you think! hahah i love reading every single persons comment!