Chapter 2

“What are you doing here?” I hissed, dropping my act in surprise. And trust me, it takes a helluva lot to take me by surprise—it’s my job to anticipate even the most minute details. I recover in time to stop myself from making a scene and ruining my cover, but just barely. Taking a deep breath, I turn around to come face to face with my past.

There was Luke, looking even better than he did two years ago. More… grown up. He finally grew into his tall frame, added some muscle, and cleaned himself up from his usual scruffy but sexy appearance. Although the last part is definitely temporary—he must be on assignment, just as I am. He looked downright hot in his suit, his dark brown hair just disheveled enough to make him look carelessly handsome. If I weren’t past embarrassment, I would be ashamed of my whorish getup, but we both know it’s just for assignment. In the time it takes me to assess his changes, he’s done the same to me. Our eyes meet again, mine a wary blue, his the same penetrating green I remember so vividly.

Okay, okay, so I may have had a teensie crush on Luke when we were partners. Just the infatuation of an eighteen year-old working in close quarters with an attractive guy who also happens to be the funniest, smartest, and most badass person she’s ever met. Nothing serious. In fact, I completely forgot about him after I left the agency. So I might have kept tabs on him, pictured his green eyes when I felt lost in this soul-sucking job, to remember who I was… I had to try to keep any shred of that innocent former version of myself that I can hold on to, so that by the time I get out of this business I won’t always be this cold, unfeeling robot that I’ve become. Maybe I can just revert to my old, carefree self, pretend like this never happened, that I became rich because of an inheritance or something. Luke helps me to remember that there’s still untainted good in this world.

“It’s good to see you, too. I see you’ve really made something of yourself,” he said with good-humoured sarcasm, but I was still too shaken to be amused. Yeah, yeah, I’m dressed like a classy prostitute. No need to be snarky about it.

“Ha ha, you’re as hilarious as ever. I see not much has changed. Well, this has been really great, but I need to, uh, go find my date,” I tried to escape from the conversation before I compromised my cover, or discouraged Alex from approaching me later because I seem to interested in Luke. Which, trust me, if Luke and I keep talking, my attraction is bound to become apparent to someone as good at reading body language as a prosecuting lawyer.

Luke grabs my hand in what would look like a playful gesture to an outsider, but holds enough force to keep me from slipping away. I feel a shock go up my arm at the warmth of the contact and try to focus on what he’s saying despite the distraction of his close proximity as he drags me over to the coatroom. We slip inside stealthily to avoid notice—while we have a disagreement, neither of us wants to compromise our cover.

“See, there’s the thing. Your ‘date’ has hired me to investigate into a few threats and to keep him safe from nefarious criminals who are trying to take advantage of him. As you’re obviously on a job, and my client is obviously your target, I’m going to have to assume you’re planning something that will cause my client eventual harm.” As he speaks, his businesslike words undermined by a seductive tone, he slowly gets closer, until our eyes are mere inches apart. The eye contact is no longer friendly, but searching and assessing. We haven’t seen each other for almost two years, and we both look for the answer to the same question: Is the person I remember still in there? Yes we look and act differently, but are we really different? I find what I’m looking for almost instantly, a hint of kindness that reveals he still hasn’t hardened and given up the idea that he can help the world.

Luke, on the other hand, looks frustrated as he looks into the bottomless emptiness that my eyes have become. I’ve hidden the part of me that he knew so deeply that sometimes I wonder if it’s still there at all. For both our sakes, I let him believe I’m a lost cause. Neither of us can afford to get emotionally involved—we don’t work together anymore, which makes us enemies. It’s every man for himself (or woman for herself) in this industry. Everyone you trust is just another person who has the power to stab you in the back for their own gain.

I see my opportunity to distract him and I take it. Sentimentality always was Luke’s kryptonite.

As Luke continues to stare into my eyes, I tentatively take his hand, as if in a gesture of affection. His face shows relief—this was the sign he was looking for, that I’m still the person he remembers. I lean in closer, slowly closing the distance between us. I feel his breath against my lips, then feel it hitch as I am a mere millimeter away. His eyes flutter closed in anticipation of the kiss just as I pull the handcuffs out of my thigh holster, snapping one around the wrist of the hand I am holding and the other around a hanger rod anchored firmly to the wall.

Luke’s eyes snap open, taking in the handcuffs and me readjusting my dress (this thing really only leaves so much room for weapon concealment, let me tell ya) with a smug grin on my face and making my way towards the door.

“Oh HELL no. Anya, get back here!” Luke called after me while furiously tugging against the handcuffs.

“Darling, if I had to guess which will break first, your wrist or those handcuffs, I’ll put my money on your wrist. Just sit tight and I promise I’ll come release you after I get what I need from your client!” I said cheerfully as I shut the door behind me, savoring the vision of him locked in that room fuming at me for the next three hours. It’s always a bit of an adrenaline rush to outsmart the enemy, and when the plan involves proximity to someone as hot as Luke the rush is even better.

I reenter the ballroom, making sure to hide any residual emotions from my encounter with Luke and regain my dumb blonde façade.