Miss Ruby

On our last day of freedom, the boys and decide to stay at the hotel and swim.  The lap ropes are out, so we decide to race.  Somehow, I manage to be the fastest.
"Fritzy, I swear you're cheating."  C. J. complained.
"How on earth can I cheat, C. J."  I asked.
"I don't know.  You got robotic legs or something?"  He asked.
"Geez, C. J. relax and quite bein' a sore loser."  Tim said.
"We should play a different game."  I said.
"That is the best idea I've heard all morning."  Tim said.

I grab a ball and we join up with the other kids in the pool and split into teams.  It was a great way to release my frustrations, and we all got to bond one last time before the real work was to begin.  We only stopped to have lunch, wait half an hour like our moms taught us, and then we headed back to the pool.  When we got tired, we got in the hot tub and chatted about how much we appreciate being able to hang out the whole day.  I really like the guys in the group, and I think we will all be friends after this project is over.  As long as we do not let the media tear us apart.  I thought.

We had dinner together and went back to our rooms.  Miracle was waiting to give us the itinerary for our upcoming events.  We all gathered in my room, and she sat in the chair.
"All right.  Listen up, Fellas.  Tomorrow is going to be a hectic day.  You will start out signing at Tower, then you will fly out to Texas and sign at a few Harmony Houses in Houston, Austin and Amarillo.  Then, you go straight to the airport and fly out to Louisiana, Alabama and so on.  I will have paper copies for each of you at breakfast in the morning."  Miracle explained.

We all sit looking terrified at Miracle.  She gives us a concerned smile and walks out of the room.  We look at each other.
"Damn, Dude.  That's a hella wicked schedule."  C. J. said.
"If we don't end up thinking we're all hosers by the end of this, I'll be surprised, eh."  Brad said.
"Listen, Guys.  We knew what we were getting into when we signed on for this.  So, let's just buck it up and do it."  Tim said.
"I agree with Tim.  We knew this would not be easy.  Look at it this way, this is our dream - our passion.  We can either live this out as friends or as enemies.  I prefer us to do this as friends and support each other.  What do you say?"  I protested.

We all gather together into a group hug and vow that we will remain friends no matter what the media says.  We know each other well enough that nothing can break our bond.  We each pinky swear and spread out to our rooms to get some sleep for the crazy day ahead.
As lie on my bed in the dark, I close my eyes and see her.  Soft, dark curls just above her shoulder that shimmer like moonlight upon the ocean waves.  Her tall stature allowing me to look into her emerald eyes.  I feel the softness of her lips and the warmth of her tongue.  She smells of lilacs - always.  I want to break my vow for her; I want her near me forever, and I will stop at nothing to have her.  Rayna is smiling at me fluttering around my head.  I hear a whisper, "Marilyn Ruby is yours, Joey."  I wake up, once again, drenched in sweat.

I look at the clock, and it is six a.m.  I decide to get up and take a shower.  I pack my bag knowing I will not be staying at this hotel tonight.  I figure a change of scenery may do me some good.  I put on one of my band outfits, and remember we did not discuss that last night.  I open my door and they all have their doors open gawking in a towel.  They slam their doors taking note of the outfit I have on.  As if some psychic force told them, at once, to check.  I shake my head and take my suitcase downstairs to the limo.  I wait for the rest of the crew to join me in the breakfast nook downstairs.

"Hey, Fritzy.  You sleep good?"  Tim asked.
"No.  You?"  I asked.
"Like a frozen Koi."  He said.
I chuckle at his reply.
"Fritzy, you look like Hell.  Did you get any sleep?  What's goin' on, Man.  You can talk to us."  C.J. said.
"I keep having this dream about this girl and a fairy.  Then, I wake up in a cold sweat.  And for the first time, the fairy whispered her name to me."  I said.
"Dude, that's crazy."  C.J. said.
"So, what's her name?"  Tim asked.
"Marilyn Ruby."  I said.
"Do you know anyone by that name?"  C.J. asked.
"That is the weird part.  I do not.  I do not even know anyone with the last name of Ruby."  I said.
"Whoa.  That's hella strange."  C.J. said.
"C. J., I have to ask, where is this 'hella' stuff coming from?"  I asked.
"I met some dudes while I was out surfin' and they kept sayin' it.  I thought it was cool."  He said.
"You actually sound like a surfer - stop it."  I said.
"What?  You don't like it?"  C. J. said.
"A bit of advice if you want the girls.  Do not talk like that."  I said.
"Oh, right."  He said and nodded.
"Anyway, I cannot shake this dream."  I said.
"Well, let's hope you meet your Miss Ruby."  Tim said.

For a solid week, we flew from state to state signing autographs; taking pictures and running tirelessly through every retail record store in the country from California to Rhode Island.  When we finally got back to Los Angeles, we were rehearsing day after day.  We even shot a music video for our single, Be Mine.  We were so tired, none of us had time to talk to each other.  The day before the concert, we rehearsed until Noon.  Then, we were free to enjoy the remainder of the afternoon.  I attempted to call Aleigha, but she would not take my calls.  So, the guys and I decide to go surfing.  It was something I had never done, but I was willing to try.

Right from the start, I have no balance and wipeout at least fifty times before I decide to go back to our hotel and hang out in the pool.  About an hour later, I am joined by my band mates.  Just like quadruplets, it was as if we were always together. 

The next several days, we perform night after night in state after state.  The final show of the tour, our manager, Scott, tells us his sister lives in Faeriestown, Michigan.
"Guys, Guys, G... uys."  He said in his operatic diva voice.
"What's up, Scotty?"  Tim asks.
"My sister lives in Faeriestown and she and her friend are coming to show.  Could you guys do me a huge fave and let me bring them in for a private meet and greet?"  He asked.
"Scotty, we could never turn down family.  You know that."  I said.
"Oh. My. God.  You guys are the be... est."  He sings.
"I will text Kim right now."  He said.

With this being the last show of the tour, I feel I missed my dream girl.  I have to remind Scott of his duty to make sure no girls want to meet me.
"Hey, Scotty."  I said.
"What's up, Fritzy?"  He asked.
"Do not forget our deal."  I said.
"I know, I know.  I got a good one that'll scare 'em away this time."  He said.
"Good."  I said.
"I can't wait for you to hear it."  He said.
"Do not tell me.  I want to be surprised."  I said.
"Okay.  But I really think you're gonna like it."  He said.

I hear the clip-clop of heels on the steps just outside of our rehearsal space.  Then, Scotty walks in and I see two girls - wait - I see her.  It is her.  Without Scott noticing I mouth the words, "It is her," to Tim, Brad and C. J.  Scotty is kneeling before us, and I am trying to hide my heart that is trying to pound out of my chest.
"Okay, Guys.  That is my sister, Kim and her friend Marilyn Ruby.  Be nice, okay."

The guys all look at me with a gleam in their eye as they give me a fist bump.  I wait in my corner for the ladies to come through, knowing I found the girl in my dreams.  I suddenly hear a whisper, "Marilyn Ruby is yours, Joey."

They each meet my band mates, and I make no eye contact with Kim.  I am only looking at the patent leather shoes Marilyn is wearing with that salacious, ruby red dress that sends my blood boiling downward.  As she approaches, I look at her shoes and slowly make my way to her gorgeous eyes.  In those heels she is almost face to face with me.  I can hardly breathe.  Her soft curls just above her shoulders, and the smell of lilacs engulf my blood in flames rendering me weak.  I try to keep my composure and not blurt out You are the love of my life, Marry me.
"You are the most beautiful woman I have seen in over twenty-two countries and forty-nine states."  I said.
Her smile is intoxicating and her lips so plump, so kissable.  I feel like Lenny from Laverne & Shirley, and I want to bite my knuckles. I am mesmerized by her, hypnotized by her. I want to kiss her now and forever, but I do not want to scare her. I know she is the one I will marry, there is no doubt. I ask Scotty to secure the suite next to mine for her, and ask him to send a masseuse. I will woo her and make her swoon, she will be mine and there will be no other than Miss Ruby.

**Author Note**
Don't forget to vote 😊