Miracle

"So, Miracle, how long have you worked for Prince?"  I asked.
"Just a few months.  I met him at a gala I was working for Mr. Michael."  She said.
"Oh, so you know Karina?"  I asked.
"Yes.  She didn't like me very much, so it was decided at the gala I would begin working for Prince instead of Mr. Michael."  She said.
"Oh.  That is interesting.  How did that come about?"  I asked.
"Prince overheard a conversation between Karina and Mr. Michael about me, and he interrupted saying he would take me on as a personal assistant."  She said.
"Prince told you this?"  I asked.
"Yes.  He felt bad that I was getting a bad break because Karina is Mr. Michael's daughter."  She said.
"That was generous of him."  I said.
"He is a wonderful man.  He keeps to himself, but I know him to be generous and kind."  She said.
"When I met him, I found him to be pleasant."  I said.
"That's good.  I know I should mind my own business, but are you and Karina..."  She began.
"I will just say, she was a bit aggressive for my taste."  I said.
"Oh.  So, you're not with her?"  She asked, blushing.
"No."  I affirmed.
"Great.  I mean... Never mind."  She said.
"It is okay, Miracle.  I was thinking of asking if you would like to have dinner some time."  I said.
"That would be nice."  She said.

Her blue eyes sparkled as she brushed a stray hair behind her ear.  Her smile was lovely and her high cheek bones gave her an air of grace I never saw in a woman before.  She sat beside me, and I could smell her rose scented perfume.  It was heavenly compared to my cheap, English leather cologne.  She went over the names of the band members and the times I was expected at the studio.  She also told me my room at the L. A. Hilton was on the same floor as the rest of the band.  She laid out an entire schedule for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as shopping dates so the four of us would have a coordinated look.  Thankfully, I was allowed to go straight to my room and get settled.  She said my suite number was 1996 and the other members rooms were 1994, 1997 and 1992.  She said it was so we could all be situated in the back corner of the floor in case we decided to collaborate or get in extra practice.

We arrive at the twenty story hotel and she checks me in with the clerk.  She hands me the room keys and sees three other gentleman waiting in the lobby.  She gestures for me to wait a moment.  I stand there with my brown leather suitcase full of cracks and tears watching them point and smile at me.  A tall brunette with his hair perfectly coiffed to the left approaches.
"You must be Joey.  My name is C. J."  He said and shakes my hand.
"Nice to meet you, C. J."  I said.
"I've heard your audition.  I can't wait to work with you."  He said.
"Have you all heard my audition?"  I asked.
"Yes.  Prince sent it over yesterday.  It's gonna be sick."  He said.
"Sick?"  I asked.
"Yeah, it means cool."  He said.
"Oh."  I said, blushing.
"Don't worry, Joey.  We'll teach you the ropes."  He said.
"Sick."  I said, and we both laughed.
"Let's head upstairs and I introduce you to the rest of the guys."  He said and takes my suitcase.
"Okay.  Give me a second to thank Miracle."  I said.
"She's a cutie, ain't she?"  He said.
"Yes.  I asked her to come to dinner with me."  I said.
"And she said yes?"  He asked.
"Yes.  Why?"  I asked.
"Dude, we have all asked her but she turned us down."  He said.
"Really?  That is interesting."  I said.
"Don't be surprised if she backs out at the last minute.  I don't think Prince wants her dating any of us."  He said.
"Oh.  I will be sure to ask about that."  I said.
"Good luck, Man."  He said.

I walk over to Miracle and pull her to the side.
"I just want to say thank you for helping me get acclimated.  Are we still on for dinner?"  I asked.
"Yes, but we must do it in private.  You can't tell the guys or I will lose my job."  She said.
"Oh, Okay."  I said.

We shook hands and I followed C. J. up to our rooms.  The four of us stood in the elevator introducing ourselves and making small talk.  C. J. followed me to my room and set my suitcase on the bed.
"Joey, if you're interested, me and the guys are gonna head down to the pool.  Mr. Michael made sure we get a couple hours after it closes to "bond" as he called it."  C. J. said.
"That sounds like a good idea."  I said.
"Cool.  We'll meet you downstairs in twenty minutes."  He said.