" 𝔸𝕕𝕠𝕡𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝔸𝕌 𝟙/𝟚 "

a/n: requested by @lillian9017

an au that takes place shortly after the avengers are formed and peter is a 6 year old orphan. the timeline is a bit weird, but jarvis is still at it : )

Tony POV:

"Did I just hear you right, or am I actually going insane?"

Pepper rolls her eyes indignantly and puts her hands on her hips in defiance.

"Tony, I'm serious. This could be good for you. For me. For the company!"

Sighing in exasperation, my eyes slide shut and I run a hand through my hair habitually. Really, I love this woman, but she can be so confusing at times.

"Please explain to me how adopting a child will benefit anything?"

Her eyes soften a bit but still hold the stubborn flare that never budges.

"I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. Raising a kid is a big commitment, don't get me wrong, but I think it would really help you and your more recent...issues."

For a moment, I contemplate pressing for what 'issue' that she's referring to, but it's a mutual understanding nonetheless. PTSD.

It's been a major factor of my life for years, but it's just recently gotten far worse than it's ever been. The nightmares and panic attacks are nonstop and I seriously can't remember the last time I've had a healthy night's sleep.

The triggers have gotten tons more sensitive and frequent. It's a viscous cycle, really.

"Pepper, how would having another responsibility piled onto my hectic life be useful? I'm nowhere near emotionally stable enough to raise a kid. I just don't want to..."

Trailing off, I can't seem to force the next few words out of my mouth. They're painful memories that I suppress as much as I can.

Wordlessly, Pepper moves across the room and sits down next to me on the sofa. She grabs my hand comfortingly and speaks in a gentle voice.

"Tony, you're nothing like your father."

Looking up at her uncomfortably, I allow myself to feel vulnerable. It's difficult after years of bottling things up, but Pepper isn't just any person.

"How do you know that?"

Smiling fondly, her face holds an expression that I greatly cherish.

Not pity, but understanding. It's one of the many outstanding qualities that this woman holds, and I couldn't thank her enough for it.

"I don't know what the future holds, so I'm not going to promise anything about this commitment. What I do know, however, is that you're everything that he's not."

A small smile forms on my face and she continues, speaking in that angelic and therapeutic voice of hers.

"You're kind, passionate, caring, and brave. You're a genius too, but that doesn't define who you are."

She places her hand on the side of my face in a silent show of comfort.

"Just because you're smart like he was doesn't mean that you're going to act like he did. You've got my support through all of this, Tony, and there are so many people that care about you."

Without skipping a beat, Pepper leans forward, hugging me compassionately.

"You've got this, Tony Stark. Every single bit of genius, billionaire, and philanthropist that I've grown to love."