Chapter 2 | First Day Struggles

Start from the beginning

"Need help?" Luka asked kindly.

Marinette smiled back and nodded. Luka then grabbed his pencil again and started the equation off for Marinette.

"So, write y - 5 = 2/3 (x + 1) in general form. What you want to do first is multiply 2/3 (x + 1) so the equation becomes y - 5 = 2/3x = 2/3." Luka explained. Marinette then started to write according to Luka's instructions while adding arrows to help her understand the steps of the equation.

"Then move the 2/3x towards the left of the equation. When you do that you have to change the sign, so now it's -2/3x + y - 5 - 2/3 = 0." Marinette began to write again.

"Now place brackets around that and multiply it all by three to get rid of the fraction, but don't multiply the numerators. Just multiply the five, since it's alone. Now your equation should look like -2x + 3x -15 -2 = 0. Now you simplify it."

Marinette started to simplify the equation. She ended up with the answer of 2x - 3 + 17 = 0. She looked at Luka for clarification. Luka looked over Marinette's work. It was a little messy, but he could still understand it, so he gave her a smile of approval and helped her the following questions that she had left.

Soon the class was over, and the two friends headed towards their science. Marinette was still talking about the General Form questions for clarification, and Luka was happy to answer. Eventually, they ended up in science class. The first semester was physics. One of Marinette's favourite subjects. But Luka seemed to dread at the word "physics."

The workbook they were given had the task to list off Newton's Laws to real-life situations. Marinette was flying through the workbook, but Luka, on the other hand, was struggling to differentiate the difference between the laws and how they would apply to real-life. Marinette was done the workbook in no time. Luka was still on the second page. Marinette looked towards Luka and saw how he was struggling, so she started to help him.

"So, what are you struggling with?" Marinette asked. Luka chuckled at Marinette.

"I'm having a hard time explaining what law belongs to what situation. That's all."

Marinette then scooted closer to Luka and began to help him with the situations.

"So, you're standing in the middle of a bus. When the bus begins to move forward you fall backwards. Which law would that be?"

Luka looked at Marinette, his mouth in a straight line. He began to think for a moment.

"The first law...?"

Marinette gave a playful sigh at Luka's answer. Luka could already tell that his answer was wrong. His face flushed feeling embarrassed. Marinette then asked Luka to list off all of Newton's Laws.

"Okay... um,  an object in motion will stay in motion and an object at rest will stay at rest until they are acted upon by an uneven force... force equals mass times acceleration... and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Marinette smiled and rested her face on her hands. She looked at Luka, waiting for him to give her the answer she wants. Luka looked at Marinette in confusion before he began to think about the laws. After a while, his eyes lit up and then he smiled a stupid smile.

"The answer is the third law. Isn't it?"

Marinette smiled a wide smile and nodded her head vigorously.

"Now tell me why."

"Because when the bus moves forward the same amount of force is applied to you, that's why you move backwards."

Marinette clapped her hands and smiled widely. Luka then smiled back at her actions. Marinette then helped Luka with the rest of the questions that he couldn't get, which didn't take that long.

Science was done and the two friends headed towards English class. On the way there Luka started asking Marinette more about what they went over in science. While answering questions Luka then realized that there was so much Marinette could help him within science, and there was so much he could help her within math. He then built up the courage to ask the question that popped into his mind.

"Hey, Marinette? Do you wanna come over to my place? For a study date sort of thing?"

Marinette looked at Luka slightly flushed.

"Study date...? Yeah! Sure, I'm okay with that." She smiled.

Luka smiled back.

"Great, then I guess I'll see you at my place after school then."

Total words used: 1326