Chapter IV: Road to a new Life

My dear magical readers,
A massive thank you to everybody who's been reading, voting and commenting until now. It really means a lot to me. 🙌🏽

This chapter turned out much longer than expected. O.O
It contains parts of Kim-Ly's backstory, which will be important later on.

I'm sorry for the lack of Riddle action, but I promise we'll finally get to him in the next chapter.

Read. Vote. Comment. Enjoy some ice cream. Do whatever you like.

With hurried steps Kim-Ly made her way through the streets of Hanoi. An air of agitation lingered over the city. This, she assumed, was due to the war that had stolen many lives and caused destruction wherever it went.

Out of the corner of her eye, Kim-Ly could see two Japanese soldiers eying her. They were not a rare occurrence, for since the beginning of WWII numerous soldiers had been stationed in Vietnam. It angered the people greatly.

Keeping her pace, Kim-Ly set her gaze on the two, a frown etched onto her face. She could see them conversing quietly and after a few seconds it seemed, they had made up their minds.

Oh no. Not that as well. Kim-Ly thought, when they began walking towards her. She rushed further along the street and after turning a corner made the split second decision to disapparate.

Next stop: Nanning (南宁)

As soon as her feet met solid ground she looked around to take in the scenery. Not much had changed since last she'd been there. The rather pompous two tiered building stood as proud as ever in the midday sun, its noble roofs glistening, as they reflected the warm rays.

Kim-Ly strode over the cobbled pathway until she stood in front of the familiar mahogany door. Nothing could be heard from the inside, making Kim-Ly's heart clench in worry.

Hopefully nothing has happened to her.

She took a deep breath and knocked two times. After a short silence she heard soft footsteps making their way to the door.

Kim-Ly released the breath she'd been holding, her face breaking out into a smile, when the door opened to reveal an old lady, who was a bit wobbly on her feet but unharmed.

„Kim-Ly?" exclaimed the lady in surprise. Before she could say anything she was ushered into the house.

„Yazhu! I'm so glad to see you!" said Kim-Ly, embracing her grandmother. „I'm so sorry to barge in like that."

When she had let go Yazhu waved her comment off and smiled at her. „No worries, my dear. Let's get you something to eat!" As she had not eaten anything since the night before, Kim-Ly was rather happy about this invitation.

After slipping out of her shoes, Kim-Ly followed after her grandmother, who must have been more than two heads smaller than her.

She was ordered to sit down as Yazhu set down Dim Sum, accompanied by a large bowl of rice and plenty spring rolls with her favourite dip. Alongside her food she could enjoy the floral and bittersweet taste of green tea. A sigh of satisfaction left her lips as her insides were warmed by the gulps of calming tea. The tension in her shoulders lessened and it seemed that now her worries could be dealt with much more easily.

Yazhu observed her with thoughtful eyes, while she ate her own share of Dim Sum.

After cleaning up, they adjourned to the spacious living room, which opened to the small garden in front, where the soft splashing of a fountain could be heard. Stood in a corner was the Guzheng Kim-Ly had always loved hearing her grandmother play.