Chapter 2

Ren and I were in her dressing room. Music was playing from her portable speakers as she did her makeup. I was on the couch reading a book by one of my most favorite authors, Kristan Higgins.

"Goldie?" Ren asked.

I looked over to her. "Yeah?"

"You haven't really... been a part of this life, so just... be careful."

I looked to her confused. "What do you mean?"

Ren walked over to me and sat on the couch next to me. "It's just... guys like Nico Autry aren't... what they appear to be."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning that he's a flirt," Ren said with a shrug.

I eyed her. "Okay. Why the warning?"

Ren stood up and walked back to the mirror. "Because."

I stood up and walked next to my sister. "What happened?"

"Nothing."

I eyed Ren. "Did something happen between you and Nico?"

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Ren said.

The door opened and Nico stood there.

"It's like we summoned you," I mumbled.

Ren elbowed me.

"What?" Nico asked.

"Nothing," I quickly said with a shrug.

Nico eyed me. Then his eyes went to Ren. "Just wanted to let you both know that we've gotten lunch for everyone. I'd be great if you two could join us. The person going before you is there, have you met her?"

"Your new squeeze? No," Ren said with a shrug.

Nico smirked. "You jealous Ren?"

"No," Ren replied with a raised brow.

Nico turned to me. "And you?"

"What?" I replied confused.

"You going?"

"Oh. Yeah?"

"Good. See you both there." Nico went to the door. He stopped and looked over to us. "And for the record, I'm not seeing anyone right now." Then he winked at me and left.

"God," Ren said with a roll of her eyes.

I eyed my sister. "Did something happen between you two?"

"Never," Ren said as she tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder she went over to the mirror and began to work on her makeup.

I watched her for a moment. Ren smiled at me, her dimples on display. I smiled back and took my seat. There was a reason the media had dubbed Ren Hollywood's princess. She looked like one. I looked less like a princess and more like the stepsister.

My mind went to what Nico had said. He had said Ren and I looked alike and if that was the case, maybe I looked a bit like my mom too.

>><<

I took a bite from my sandwich. It was delicious. Everyone else was talking with someone. I stood off to the side taking everything in.