Prince Eugen, Duke of Jämtland

Prince Eugen, Duke of Jämtland ( Eugen Thomas Walther Valdemar; born 7 June 1982) is the younger son and the third of four children of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. As of 2017, Prince Eric is seventh in the line of succession, after his older sister, Crown Princess Victoria, his niece and goddaughter Princess Estelle, his nephew Prince Oscar, his elder brother, Prince Carl Philip and his two sons.

Prince Eugen was born on 7 June 1982 at the Stockholm Palace, Sweden. He was baptised at the Royal Chapel on 20 September 1982. His mother is of half German and half Brazilian descent.

During 1986-1988, Prince Eugen attended the Västerled parish preschool. In the autumn of 1986, he started school at Smedslättsskolan in Bromma which he attended at junior level. For the intermediate level, he attended Ålstensskolan in Bromma, proceeding from there, in the autumn of 1993, to senior level at Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm. In the autumn of 1995, Eric enrolled at Kent School. He then continued his studies in a science programme at Lundsbergs upper secondary school. He graduated in the spring of 2000. In 2013, Prince Eric finished his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp.

He is the godfather of Prince Gabriel of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna (Gabriel Carl Walther; born 31 August 2017) is the second child of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia. He is a grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. His elder brother is Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland. Prince Gabriel is sixth in the line of succession to the Swedish throne as of June 2018.

Title, styles and honours

Armiger | Prince Eugen

Adopted | 1982

Title

Eugen is styled as: His Royal Highness Prince Eugen of Sweden, Duke of Jämtland.

Jämtland (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈjɛmːtland] ) (Norwegian: Jemtland,[pronunciation?]; Latin: Iemptia) or Jamtland(Jamtish: [ˈjamtlan]) is a historical province(landskap) in the centre of Sweden in northern Europe. It borders Härjedalen and Medelpad to the south, Ångermanland to the east, Lapland to the north and Trøndelag and Norway to the west. Jämtland covers an area of 34,009 square kilometres, 8.3% of Sweden's total area and is the second largest province in Sweden. It has a population of 115,331, the majority of whom live in Storsjöbygden, the area surrounding lake Storsjön. Östersund is Jämtland's only city and is the 24th most populous city in Sweden.

Honours

Swedish honours

Sweden: Member Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (LoK av KMO)
Sweden: Member of the Royal Family Decoration of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Sweden: Recipient of the Ruby Jubilee Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Sweden: Recipient of the Wedding Medal of Crown Princess Victoria to Daniel Westling
Sweden: Recipient of the 50th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Sweden: Recipient of the 70th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf

Foreign honours

Bulgaria: 1st Class of the Order of Stara Planina
Brazil: Grand Cross of the Order of Rio Branco
Germany: Grand Cross 1st Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
Latvia: Grand Officer of the Order of the Three Stars
Luxembourg: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
Malaysia: Honorary Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (2005)
Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Olav
Romania: Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service