Better off

Joe Keery

Better off  

A booming thunder strikes across the dark sky, making the sky purple, and lighting up the dark world underneath for a split second. You hurried into the building, running your fingers through your soaking wet hair, droplets sliding down your arm. You grabbed your phone, checking the time. You noticed it took you around ten minutes to get to Joe's apartment building, making you sigh as you looked towards the elevator doors, knowing what was to come.

You had gotten a text from Joe, fifteen minutes ago, asking you to head over to his apartment. He wanted to talk with you and you knew exactly what that meant. Your relationship with Joe was good, while at first. It's been about almost two years now since you both had first gotten together, but as that two year anniversary was right around the corner, the relationship you had with Joe was slowly fading away. You both didn't talk as much and you just felt like that love you both had for one another wasn't as strong as it used to be.

Entering the small elevator, you clicked on the fifth floor, where his apartment was located. You fiddled with your hands, tears burning the back of your eyes. You knew that when you left his apartment, standing in the same elevator as you were in now, you wouldn't be with Joe anymore. With that lingering in your mind as the elevator doors split open, you let out a few exhales, stuffing your hands in your jacket, making your way down the same hall you would always go down, but this time, with no smile.

Joe was a special person to you, and always will be, but you knew things would be better off being apart, even if that thought made you sad. Knocking on Joe's door, you moved your wet hair behind your ears as you heard a small click from the other side before the door was swung open. You looked up at Joe as he gave you a small, sad smile. He allowed you in and you walked over towards his couch, sitting on the edge as he closed the door behind him, making his way over to sit next to you. It was quiet for a moment before you heard him sigh, leaning slightly back as he turned to face you.

"You know I love you, right?" His voice was soft, almost like he was whispering. "You were my first real love." He breathed out, his soft honey voice making you clenched your fist. You didn't want it to end, but you both were no longer happy with each other. You just wanted to hold on a little longer to the person who made you realize what real passionate love felt like. The guy who made you realize you couldn't have people walk all over you anymore.

"You were mine too." You said, tears shimmering in your eyes. It was always hard to let go of the first person you ever loved, even if you no longer felt it. Another loud thunderbolt struck and you almost let out a chuckle at the coincidence that the weather felt the same as your mood. Sad.

"But–" Joe glanced up at the ceiling, his own eyes swarming up with tears. "But we both know we're no longer happy in this relationship." He looked back down, a tear slipping out from the corner of his eye as your own eyes started burning from keeping the tears in. "I know you don't love me like you did the first time and I know that you know I don't love you as much as I did the first time either. The love I feel for you now is more like a love a friend feels." He wiped his wet cheek, his gaze landing back on you.

You nodded, agreeing with him. "Those two years with you were the best two years I ever had." You confessed with a small smile. "And I will always cherish those moments." You placed your hand on top of his, making him lightly squeeze your cold hand. "But it's time we end it."

He nodded. "I don't know how or why we lost feelings for each other, but it was bound to happen." Joe sighed, leaning up. "I just want you to remember that you'll always have a special place in my heart." He cupped your cheek, caressing it lightly. "We went through hell and back but you'll always be my best friend."

You placed your hand over his that was still softly placed against your cheek. "...Say it." You whispered.

"I love you, y/n but we're better off as friends. I'm... I'm breaking up with you." He said, slowly taking off his warm hand from your cheek. You smiled, leaning up to engulf him into a hug as a few tears slipped down your face but nonetheless, you felt a weight being lifted off your shoulders.

"Better off as friends." You finalized, sighing and breaking the hug. You looked out Joe's window, seeing the rain getting softer until it was completely gone. "Thank you, Joe." You stood up, fixing the jacket you had on. "For everything." He looked up at you, nodding and rubbing at his red eyes.

You gave him one last sad smile before you made your way out the apartment and into the hallway, closing the door behind you. You were gloomy but you and Joe deserved to be happy and if breaking up was the key to the happiness you both wanted, then so be it. 

You were just glad you both could still be friends and support one another.

Q: Who's your favorite singer/band?