NINETEEN: THE GAP

Start from the beginning

They were in deep shit.

They listened as the creature screeched and a manakin doll was thrown next to them, the doll adorning the same clothes as eleven. The four looked at it open mouthed, scared to make a noise of shock as their breaths hitched.

"Move," Eve whispered to them, barely making a noise as she moved around the display and over to the cashpoint, staying in blind spots as they followed, the four hiding once again as the mind flayer snapped a tentacle where the four had just been.

They all stayed absolutely still, hoping to god that the creature would go, thinking they weren't there.

But that wasn't the case as they saw a claw come around the corner, next to Mikes head. The boy didn't move a muscle as Eleven stared at it and Max looked the other way. Eve in the other hand just had her eyes closed, believing if she couldn't see it, it couldn't see her.

Suddenly a bang of a popping balloon was heard and the tentacle retracted, the mind flayer thinking they were somewhere else as if stomped away.

"Let's go," Mike whispered, getting up, but Eve refused to, the three looking at her like she was crazy.

"Go," Eve whispered to them, pushing max away from her and into the others.

"Eve-" Max whispered.

"Trust me," Eve whispered back, "go."

Mike grabbed Max's shoulder, sending her a nod to say Eve knew what she was doing, before the three ran out.

Eve breathed a deep sigh as she stood up and glanced at the monster, keeping an eye on it.

She had to make sure the monster didn't follow after them, she had to make sure it wouldn't kill them.

She listened as she heard gunfire from outside and the revving of engines, the mindflayer hearing it too, Eve had to stop it.

She watched the mind flayer jump onto the top or the mall, and ran out of the gap, sprinting as fast as she could out the entrance when she saw a crash happen, Billy's car flying off and missing Nancy's car.

"Eve!" Steve yelled when he saw her run out, but she ignored him as she turned towards the monster, watching it approach the commotion.

"Eve get in!" Nancy shouted behind Eve, Eve turned to see no Max, no mike, no eleven.

"Where are they?" Eve asked her, Nancy's eyes widened as Eve's heart dropped.

"I have to find them," She told Nancy, "distract it, get Robin and Steve and go!" She yelled as she ran back inside, the mind flayer no longer following behind her as it ran after Nancy's car.

Eve instantly ran into the gap, running through the back and down different corridors, trying urgently to find her friends.

"Max? Mike?" She yelled, checking different areas as she ran.

"Eve!" She heard max shout back.

"Stay where you are!" Eve yelled back, running down another corridor when she found them, "Nancy, Will, Lucas and Johnathan are safe. Billy's still outside, but Steve left the car they were using."

"I can drive," Max told them, "zoomer."

"Then we need to get out," Mike says to them.

"We need to go through the back entrance and through the gate to the car park," Eve says, looking around the corridor for an exit sign.

"This way," Mike says finding the sign an heading in that direction with El, Max and Eve close behind. They finally made it out into the fresh air before running around to the gate.

But when they ran out the gate, they were met with the bloodied flayed face of Billy Hargrove staring at them from the wreckage of his car.

"Shit!" Mike yelled, turning around with El under his arm and running back, Max and Eve following.

"Keep them safe," Eve says to Max, running off.

"Eve no!" Max yelled as Eve ran to close the gate.

"I beat him once I can beat him again," Eve told Max as she hit the button, "trust me."

Max sighed, staring into Eve's eyes before nodding and running off. Eve took a couple steps away from the gate as Billy opened it with his strength.

Eve was paralyzed. She tried keeping her cool, but inside she was trembling like a sheet. She didn't want to die, she knew she had to fight. She was ready.