FIFTEEN: ZOOMER

Chapter 15: Zoomer

"In my life there's been heartache and pain. So I don't know if I can take it again."

•

Eve sat in the back of the car with Mike and Dustin, with Steve laid across them as she closed her eyes. Trying to relax and take her mind off of the immense pain she was in. She had her head on Dustin's shoulder as Dustin held an ice pack to Steve's head and Mike held one to Eve's nose. Billy had definitely broken her nose, but she couldn't pay attention to that; she had to focus on what was important: saving the human race.

As Mike tried to talk to Eve, he noticed that it was like talking to a brick wall, as if Eve wasn't really with them. He got out his torch and shone it in her eyes.

"Uh, guys..." Mike spoke up, "Eve has a concussion."

"I'm not surprised," Lucas says to Mike, "did you see how hard billy kicked her head?"

"Bastard," Max whispered to herself as she continued driving.

"Nancy?" They heard Steve's voice. Eve opened her eyes to see her brother groan and pinch his nose. Eve grabs his hand with her scratched and bruised one, the two siblings finding a small sense of comfort from their shared bruises.

"No, Steve, don't touch it," Dustin says softly Steve as Eve moved his hand away slowly and carefully, making sure not to injure him any more than he already was. Both of them had been beaten up - what would her parents say? They're never home, so they wouldn't care, they stopped caring a long time ago.

"Hey, buddy," Dustin says and shushes the boy who wasn't even talking, "It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a fight. You're okay," He says as Steve groans, his eyes still glued shut - opening them felt like an impossible task.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas says to Max in the front. Steve moves the ice pack off of his head, realising that his body was moving. He had no idea where he was or where he was going and he really didn't want to find out.

"What's going on?" Steve asks, his voice husky and low, before seeing Max in the driver's seat. He realised they were in a very fast moving car being driven by a thirteen year old. His heartbeat picked up as he let out a gasp, "Oh, my God!"

"Just relax," Dustin says, "She's driven before."

"Yeah, in a parking lot," Mike argues as Steve makes weird noises of pain and discomfort. Eve had to admit, she didn't like that Max was driving as she didn't feel safe, but she had no power to stop it. The others were persistent, and they were going with or without the Harrington siblings.