{Chapter 16} A Day With Theresa

I woke up a few hours later to the sound of my alarm on my phone. Why I had one set for a Saturday is beyond me. The sunlight streaming in around the pink curtains, making my head hurt worse. I pulled myself out of the small bed and made my way into the bathroom, hoping a warm shower would help. 

I got dressed quickly, throwing on a pair of skinny jeans and a band t-shirt before brushing my hair out and pulling it up into a bun. I hope today goes by quickly and smoothly, I can't handle anymore fighting or drama today. I think I got my fill for the month yesterday. I brushed my teeth and took one last look in the mirror before grabbing my phone heading downstairs. I looked exhausted, the bags under my eyes darker than usual but I didn't care today. 

Theresa and Jonas were standing in the kitchen talking about their plans for the day. I pulled out one of the chairs that lined one side of the island and sat down. Theresa looked over at me and smiled, pouring me a glass of orange juice but still continuing her and Jonas's conversation. 

"So I'll drop you off at Bo's when Brook and I leave to go shopping." She says sternly. Jonas nods his head with an annoyed look on his face before walking out of the room. 

Theresa sighs and takes a sip of her coffee before turning to me. "Are you excited to go shopping?" she asks.

"A little actually, I never did much of it back home."

"Well, we have a Wal-mart in town and there's a target about thirty minutes away in Victoria if you would prefer to go there instead."

"Either one is fine with me" I give a small smile. "Did Daniel have to work today?" 

"He had to go in for a few hours, should be home shortly after two today." She finishes her coffee and rinses her cup out. 

"So, I was wondering about some of my things that I left in New York. Mainly all my clothes." I say with a small laugh. "I didn't bring much down here with me, since I wasn't planning on staying"

"We could see if one of your friends could pack them up for you? have the shipped down here." She says, turning around to face me.

"That might work..." I say, trialing off. "I'm not sure which ones would though after yesterday."

"Well, if they won't I guess we could always spend a little more of Daniel's money to get you some new clothes." She smiles at me and I start to laugh. It's nice to be able to joke around with her. 

"We'll figure it out." She says.

I nod at her and my phone buzzes.

Grayson: Hey, I just woke up. Still want to do something today?

Brooklynn: Yes, but Theresa and I are going shopping this morning. What time did you want to hang out?

I'm just about to set my phone back down when it vibrates again.

Grayson: Whenever you're finished, I just want to see you today :) 

I send back a quick reply, the butterflies in my stomach acting up again.

"When did you want to head out?" Theresa asks me, snapping out of my Grayson filled day dreams.

"Whenever, We can go now if you want." I reply. 

"Sounds good to me, I'll yell for Jonas and we can head out." She says before walking out of the room.

I finish my juice and put the cup in the sink before running back up stairs to get a pair of shoes. 

I find my white vans slip on's at the bottom of my suitcase and put them on. I'll have to unpack that now instead of basically living out of it. I grab my bag off the floor beside my bed and head back downstairs to meet the two of them by the door. 

The ride to drop Jonas off is silent, a little awkward but bearable. Him and Theresa must've been arguing about something this morning when I interrupted them.

We pull up in front of a small grey house and he gets out, mumbling a goodbye as he shuts the door. Theresa sighs and waits for him to get inside before pulling away. The car stays silent aside from the quiet sound of the radio. Neither one of us speaks until we reach town. 

"I figured we could go to Wal-mart first and see what they have before going to Target." Theresa says, not moving her eyes from the road.

"Works for me." I respond. 

We keep up small talk until we pull into the parking lot of the store. 

"I figured if it's not too late when we get done, Grayson could come over and help me paint?" I ask her. 

"Of course! I've been wanting to have him over and get to know him a little better. I can make us all dinner!" She says, her voice full of excitement.

"Would my dad be okay with that? He doesn't seem to like Grayson much.."  

"Oh he'll be fine, He's still upset over something small. Your father tends to hold a few grudges if you couldn't tell." She says, I assume she's referring to yesterday's blow out with my mother so I laugh.

We walk around the home section of the store, going up and down different aisles until we finally find the one with all the bedding. I look over all the shelves, more than once, before finally deciding on a grey marble looking comforter set. Now onto curtains. 

Finding what curtains I wanted took longer than finding the bedding. Theresa dug around through the shelving and found light grey sheer curtains. We both thought they matched okay with the bedding so that's what we went with. 

Theresa wanted to go get a few groceries for dinner tonight but left me in the clothing section to pick out a few things so I would have enough clothes until we could figure out how to get the rest of mine. 

I grabbed two pairs of jeans and a pair of leggings before checking out some of their  tops. I found a few plain colored t-shirts and two with patterns that I didn't hate before going off to find Theresa. 

We checked out and headed back to the car. She offered to stop and get food but I told her I would just find something at the house, but she insisted. She went through the drive thru at the Whataburger across the road and we headed back towards the house.

We talked about a lot on the drive back and laughed more than I thought we would. Theresa isn't as bad as I thought she would be. The more I hang out with and get to know her, the more I wish my mother could've been like her. 

We pull into the driveway and I pull my phone out to check the time, only one o'clock. I quickly texted Grayson saying that I just got home if he wanted to head over. I grabbed most of the bags out of the back of the car while Theresa went to unlock the door to the house. 

"Is it okay if I leave these down here somewhere until we're done painting?" I yell out to her, unsure of where she went inside the house. 

She yells back to put them in one of the closets so they're out of the way.

So far today has been pretty good, hopefully the rest of the day goes the same.