0.2

The fire that Michael had made crackled and popped, lighting up the whole forest. Currently it was my only company since he had left to get something. He won't tell me much about himself just that he's here and knows what to do.

I honestly don't know how to feel about him, I'm only trusting him because he seems to have fortitude in this situation. From what I've seen so far he's very stolid; of course I've only known him for ten hours so I shouldn't be so quick to make a judgment.

Michael approaching footsteps soon mix with the sounds of the fire. "Hey purple shirt! I got food."

Of course the shirt I choose to wear is this awful purple shirt I was dared to buy. Even when he's not here Carson is ruining my life.

"I hope you like squirrel because it's all we can have in these horrid woods." He takes off his backpack and pulls out a knife, skinning the lifeless body of the squirrel. His faces stays with the same blank expression he had on earlier.

There has to be something horrible that happened to him. Whatever it is it's obvious that he's trying to expunge it from his memory; so far I can tell that he's failing miserably.

"Tomorrow you're getting a job. There's a rundown McDonalds in the town about two miles from here. They'll literally hire anyone and you can get away with stealing food. We'll need money that we can save up for an apartment of some sort one day. Does th-"

"Tell me about yourself Michael, you know about me but I don't know about you." I cut him off, feeling very accomplished with myself. I haven't talked back to this kid yet and it feels good to finally do so.

I don't want to be stuck with someone who may potentially kill me in my sleep tonight. I'd at least like to know how old he is and how long he's been here; for all I know he could be a random camper using me to his advantage.

Michael glares at me for cutting him off, but he seems pretty calm about the whole thing. Thankfully I don't think he's going to murder me now, maybe later but not now. I probably didn't think this through well enough.

"So you want to know about me?" He questions me, folding his hands and resting them on his knees. "Thing is I'm not going to reveal much to you. Once I learn to trust you you will learn more about me purple shirt."

Will this kid give it a rest with the purple shirt?

"I'm an honest person if you must know. I'm sarcastic and snarky but I'm not going to lie to you about something; for instance, your fringe game is extremely weak. Sorry, I've been thinking that for a while. I'm sixteen, turning seventeen and my favourite colour is green. I like music and that's about it."

I've been older than him this whole time? I've been scared of someone younger than me, I should feel ashamed.

Hey he dissed my fringe, no one disses the fringe. Ok I will admit that he is fringetastic, but that gives him no reason to be hating on mine. I don't even want to know how he'll react once it starts to curl, he'll probably call me curly fry.

Again, I'm literally letting someone younger than me get in my head. I know if we were to fight I could so take him out, so why am I so worried about what he's going say to me about different things.

Maybe it's because he's the only person I have.

"Now as I was saying, you're going to get a job there. One day you'll find out why I can't, but I need you to do something." He reaches into his bag and pulls out a ten dollar bill and a couple of coupons. "When you're in the town buy hair dye and use the rest on water. I don't have much money yet but if I dye my hair I may have a chance of being able to leave these woods."

I'm honestly starting to think he's a criminal of some sort. Why would he not be able to go into town until he changes how he looks a bit?

I don't really care, he might be able to steal us food someday and that would be useful. I don't know how good I'll be at doing it so it's good to have a back up plan.

I honestly sound so pathetic right now. Never have I ever had to even think about stealing something. My parents had money coming out of their ears, I guess thats why I'm doing so poorly out here after even one day.

Truth of the matter is that they're only rich with money, not emotions or common sense. Maybe they should be the ones in these woods, not me.

"You said your parents kicked you out of the house, why did they do that? I mean you said you were framed for a crime, but thats all I really know. You don't seem like the type to commit a crime, you seem pretty normal." Michael says, twiddling his thumbs uncomfortably.

He's anxious, always doing something with his hands. It must be his way of controlling himself, or he's just nervous about having someone to go along on this ride with him.

"I don't want to say too much because I'm still so aggravated with the fact that Carson would play me how he did. Carson was my best friend, mainly because our families liked to gloat about how much money they had together." I pause for a moment, trying to collect my thoughts.

As much as I want to be open with him, it's hard. This whole thing is the reason I'm in this mess. The thing I'm most scared about blowing up on Michael and having him be scared of me. I would probably start screaming about how much I hate Carson and my parents.

"My family was rich, extremely rich, although my parents are the only ones who actually saw the money. Carson was like a son to them, he loved money and they did too, it was the perfect match. When the um incident happened they believed him before they believed me."

Michael leans forward on hi knees and stares at me like a child stares at a new toy."What's the incident? You've got me intrigued now Ashton."

"Why don't you tell me why you're here first." I counter, because I want to know what is causing all of his problems.

It's not fair that I'm telling him everything about me and he's told me a little about him. I understand that he has "trust issues" or whatever he has, but thats not an excuse. I should at least know a bit, because else wise I feel like I he's going to stab me in the back one day.

Thanks to Carson I guess I have trust issues too, lovely just lovely. I can't even trust Michael and I'm going to ask him to say things he doesn't want to say. He could have emotional scars that I'll never be able to comprehend but yet I fell the need for him to come out and say them.

Michael throws his hands up in surrender and backs away from me. "D-d-d-don't make me say it, I can't say it Ashton. I'm sorry for pestering you, I'll just stop."

And for the second time today I saw Michael break down in tears.

"I'm sorry for saying that Michael. I would hug you to calm you down but I don't thi-"

He cuts me off by running into my arms and bawling his eyes out. Whatever happened must've been serious, I've never seen a kid this emotionally broken, although most of the people I know are pretty emotionless.

When I first met Michael I thought he was like that, but I was definitely wrong. He's like an onion, he has many layers to him.

"Buddy I think it's time that we get some sleep. I'll put out the fire, but you've had a long day."