Sam sucks in a sharp breath, moving to sit next to his older brother, placing a hand on Dean's shoulder.

"Hey, you're a great father, okay? You're the best man I know, the best dad." Sam assures him calmly, heartbreak gleamed in his eyes--he physically felt his heart ache over his brother's words.

"What if that's not good enough? What if when it comes down to it, I'm not able to protect her?" Dean looks over at his little brother, a tear slipping down his cheek. "I-I can't...I'm not strong enough, I mean look at her. She got possessed by Yellow-Eyes when she was eight, eight. She was possessed by Lucifer, freaking Satan took control of her body, and I did nothing."

"Dean, there wasn't anything you could do." Sam urges, glancing at his hands. "I didn't do anything either. You couldn't of known what Lucifer's plan was, he was messing with her before he put her into the hospital, Dean."

"It's my job to protect her, Sam, from anything that's evil. I couldn't do that, I wasn't good enough to." Dean hisses, his head lowers--removing his gaze from Sam's.

"You did better than that. You taught her how to protect herself, she's strong, Dean. She's a good hunter."

"But I didn't want her to be!" Dean insists, his voice breaks. "I never wanted her to have our life, Sam. Sometimes...sometimes I wish Marley would've taken her." He admits quietly.

"No, you don't." Sam says knowingly, Dean sighs in defeat.

"No." Dean agrees. "I want her to be safe."

"I am, dad." Dakota announces her present, her eyes droopy and tired as she holds her dad's gaze.

Dakota glances at Sam, who nods and gets up to leave, patting his brother's shoulder before pressing a kiss to Dakota's cheek.

Dakota curls up next to her dad, hugging his arm with her head on his shoulder. She sighs softly and digs her head into the crook of his neck, Dean lays his head on top of hers.

"It's not your job to protect me anymore, daddy, you've done enough. It's my turn." She speaks softly, her voice just above a whisper.

"I'm sorry, baby." Dean apologizes, his voice matching the softness in hers.

"Why are you sorry?"

Dean closes his eyes, turning his hand over so he's able grasp hers.

"I wasn't able to give you the life that you deserve."

"You stayed, I think that's what I deserve." Dakota shrugs. "You may not of gave me the life that you wanted, but you stayed and that's all I want."

Dean doesn't know what to say to that, instead he moves his arm and wraps it around Dakota's shoulder. He kisses her temple and smooths down her hair with his hand.

"You deserve a better dad, Kota, I'm not good enough to keep you safe. Look at what you've been through, you shouldn't have had to face that. I should've protected you." Dean says through gritted teeth, angry at himself.

"I got the best dad, you've been more than good enough. You taught me everything I need to know. Despite what people say, dad, ignorance is not bliss. I know about the dangers in the world, and I'm more than capable to handle it." Dakota presses, wrapping her arms around him, hugging him.

"You...I didn't want you to live this life, Dakota." Dean urges, his voice firm. "The plan was to hunt down Yellow-Eyes and then you and I were going to go somewhere safe. We were going to be a family and do family things."

"We are a family, dad. This life, regardless of how dangerous it is, has given me the best family."

"You shouldn't have to live in constant fear, Dakota." Dean argues.