Ch. 275 and Ch. 276

Comincia dall'inizio

The scenery on either side began to blur as the ride turned even bumpier. Chu Lian was frightened by the sudden speed and clung tightly onto He Changdi.

Somehow, she could still hear He Changdi's husky, magnetic voice by her ear say, "Are you still sure that you know how to ride a horse?"

Chu Lian had already realised that this fellow was purposely teasing her. Her cheeks were flushed red with anger as she exclaimed, "He Changdi! Why are you so childish!"

The only response she could hear through the winds blowing past was He Changdi's bright and open laughter, which she could feel through his shaking chest.

Chu Lian was startled. She couldn't help but look up at He Changdi's sharp jaw. Right now, she couldn't find a hint of the original gloominess he had always worn on his face ever since the first time she met him.

He was genuinely, truly living in the warm, happy moment.

Chu Lian suddenly had the urge to freeze time to keep him in his current state, freed of all his worries and burdens.

She tightened her hold around him and buried her head into his chest. Having lost all desire to retort, she broke out into a whole-hearted smile.

By the time the couple returned to the group, an hour had already passed.

The fierce winds they had encountered on horseback had messed up their cloaks, so He Sanlang and Chu Lian both looked a little haggard. However, the messiness of their clothes couldn't hide the pure joy on their faces.

He Changdi personally escorted Chu Lian to her carriage.

Xiao Hongyu eyed the two of them from not too far away with shining eyes. He tsked to himself and let out a chuckle with a wretched expression. "Doesn't Brother He know how to control himself? We're still on the road here! He just took out Sister-in-Law like that!"

Zhang Mai had no idea what to say to the brat. He glared at him and threw a chestnut at his silly head. "You little brat. What are you thinking in that head of yours?"

Xiao Hongyu held his wounded head in a pitiful manner and protested, "Brother Zhang, you're not allowed to hit my head! My mother already thinks I'm stupid enough. If you keep hitting me, I won't be able to get a wife in the future!"

Captain Guo burst out into raucous laughter while watching the two banter.

The victory in the war against the Tuhuns had lifted the mood of their long-suffering soldiers.

They entered the capital on the second day of the second month of the lunar calendar, the day of the Longtaitou Festival.

The Chengping Emperor had sent officials from the Ministry of Rites to welcome them five kilometres out from the capital.

General Qian and his troops would have to change into special ceremonial armour and enter the capital under the lead of the officials armed with ceremonial weapons. They would then enter the palace for the official bestowal ceremony. This was the highest honour that could be given to a military official returning home.

It was also due to this arrangement that Prince Jin and Chu Lian had to part ways with the border troops as they neared the outskirts of the capital.

As they reached the five kilometre mark outside the capital, Chu Lian bid goodbye to He Changdi and followed He Erlang back.

As for He Sanlang's party, they would have to head straight to the palace to attend the ceremony before they would be allowed to return to their estates.

In the afternoon, Chu Lian finally reached the entrance of the Jing'an Estate.

They had already sent some of their family's soldiers ahead to report their return. Just as Chu Lian's carriage stopped, the sound of a group of excited female voices carried in from outside.