26 - Dirty Love

"How 'bout a shot of truth in that denial cocktail?"

― Jennifer Salaiz

______________________

My mind was still occupied by thoughts about my family. For my well-being, I knew it was better to move on and leave them behind. They were strong, and had already found a way to deal with my death. I should do the same.

I had no idea what Elaine was thinking of when she crossed the bridge, but somehow she managed to get us right into a busy nightclub. Her euphoria and delight swept over me, and within no time, I was just as excited.

Eyeing our surroundings, a smile crept on her face. "Is this okay?"

As cheesy as it sounded, the world stopped turning for me when she turned around, this time directing her smile at me. Unable to form a coherent sentence, I simply nodded, looking like a complete idiot.

But my answer was not satisfying. A frown formed on her beautiful face, snapping me out of my trance. "If you don't like it, we can go somewhere else."

I pinched my bottom lip between my thumb and index finger, searching for the right words. Truth to be told, I hadn't even bothered to check out the club yet, but I fully trusted her judgment.

Deciding it wouldn't harm anyone, though, I quickly looked around. We were standing near the entrance, more and more people streaming in after security guards checked their IDs. People were quickly mingling and the hum of chit-chat filled the air, only to be drowned by the loud music blaring from jukeboxes everywhere.

The dance floor was one big bulk, the smell of sweat and lust swiftly filling my nostrils. On two sides of it, bars were serving the party goers.

"Nope, I love it," I told Elaine, reassuringly taking her hands in mine.

Just as quickly as it had gone, the smile reappeared. With her hands still firmly gripped in mine, I somehow managed to hold both of hers in one of mine. I took her to the dance floor and tried to avoid girls and boys alike, even though we couldn't collide.

With a quick glance over my shoulder, I saw that Elaine was doing the same, our old human habits still deeply rooted.

"I guess we'll see if people really can have fun without getting drunk," she called over the loud music, a contagious laugh following.

I squeezed her hands and spun around, awkwardly lingering amid people who were completely oblivious of our presence. Not feeling them actually dancing through us, I tried to push the thoughts off my mind.

"Believe me, love, we're going to have a lot of fun." I flashed her a wide grin, putting my teeth on full display.

Under the lights tonight, the white in her eyes gleamed. For the first time ever since we went back to my house, I really took my time to take in her outfit.

It was casual, as usual, but she managed to pull it off like it were some designer clothes. The dark blue skinny jeans complimented her legs, the black vans adding up, and a black, riffled top adorned her upper body.

Lost in thoughts, I bit my lip and slowly let my eyes wander up her body again to her face – only to find her staring at me with amusement in her twinkling eyes. "See something you like?"

"Plenty," I answered with a wink and twirled her around, trying to hide the sudden flashes of lust, that sent jolts of shock through me, I felt rifling through my body.

As it turned out, Elaine was a talented dancer. With my hands on her hips and her back to my chest, she moved along to the beat of the music, her long hair swinging around whenever she moved her head and her eyes closed in blissful ignorance.