46 - Feeling Free

"What light is to the eyes - what air is to the lungs - what love is to the heart, liberty is to the soul of man."

- Robert Green Ingersoll

______________________

There was a party going on.

People were dancing on the table, music was blasting from the jukeboxes and the smell of liquor was heavily in the air. I wrinkled my nose, about to grab Elaine's hand and just turn around, when Jonas spotted us.

"Harry! Elaine!" He skidded over to us, the beer in his glass dangerously luffing to the edge of the glass.

His eyes widened momentarily when he saw Gemma standing next to us. A cheeky grin spread on his face as he stopped right in front of her.

"And who are you?"

Gemma smiled back, apparently realising that he was a friend of mine. "I'm Gemma."

I watched in horror as Jonas leaned forward and pressed a kiss to Gemma's cheek. "Hello gorgeous. Do you want a drink? Cassie over there can fix you something."

My sister nodded, a dreamy look in her eyes, and followed Jonas over to the bar where Cassie greeted them with a cheery "hello" that could be heard from the door.

I stared dumbfounded, not realising that my friend just flirted with my sister.

A dull ache jolted through my body. The source was Elaine's fist punching my arm. "Harry! Do something?"

"Do what?" I hissed, glaring down at her.

She was completely unfazed. Gesticulating wildly, she replied "Stop Jonas from flirting with your sister!" in a snappy tone.

I shook my head. "Gemma'll have my head. Let's get drunk."

"We can't get drunk," Elaine pointed us.

"Nah," I said, taking her much smaller hand in mine and gently tugging her to the bar, "it's all in your head. If you drink a lot, you will act as if you are drunk. Trust me."

Elaine rolled her eyes but didn't comment.

"Hi Cassie," I greeted the brunette behind the bar, sitting down on a stool. "We'd-"

"Oh my gosh," she interrupted me, her eyes on Jonas and Gemma. "Where did you find Gemma? Was she your latest assignment? I can't believe it!"

"What?" I asked in a small voice.

"Look at them!"

Elaine and I both turned our heads in unison. I blinked twice as I saw the close proximity between those two. It seemed as if there was some magnetic pull that was invisible to outsiders.

They surely did get along.

"And?" Elaine asked, bringing me back to reality.

"Can't you see it?" Cassie squealed.

We both shook our heads, asking "See what?" as if we were the same person.

"They're soulmates!"

Everything around me seemed to still. The whole party, the screaming and the music - everything was forgotten as I stared in Cassie's eyes, trying to understand if I was dreaming.

"What?" Elaine screamed, a little too loud but no one seemed to notice.

"I tell you: they're soulmates. Believe me, I know soulmates when I see them." Cassie was so thrilled whereas I felt sick. "I saw it the moment the two of you walked in together," she added helpfully.