19 - We Get So Disconnected

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

______________________

Elaine and I looked at each other, neither of us daring to break the deafening silence.

But as it turned out, we didn't have to.

Out of nowhere, Elisa reappeared. "We have a new assignment for you."

"But you just said you didn't?" Elaine remarked. I nodded in agreement.

"It just came in."

I laughed. "Like an amazon order?"

My comment wasn't even that funny but Elaine still sent a smile my way, putting her hand up for a high five. After I slapped in, I grinned back at her.

"We can see and feel things that you don't," Elisa informed us. "The soul's name is Marie, she's 12 and you'll find her in Paris."

I cheered. "France, we're coming back."

Elisa shook her head. "Paris, Texas." On that note, she disappeared.

"Texas?" Elaine and I called in unison to the empty spot in front of us.

We waited for a minute, hoping one of them would tell us it was a joke and we could take a few days off, but nothing happened.

"Well," Elaine slowly said, looking back up at me, "I've never been to Texas before."

"I'm so gonna get some boots there," I decided.

Elaine looked intrigued. "How? We can't even touch things."

I motioned towards the door, wanting to get over with this assignment soon. "I figured something out while I was alone in Italy." Telling her everything from the little glow around my hands to how I could control what I wanted to touch and what not for a bit, I filled her in on my whole experience.

"Do you think we can also control our appearance?" She asked after listening patiently.

"What do you mean?" We were walking towards the large, never-ending field with the bridge waiting for us.

"Like, let people see us." Elaine had a far-away look in her eyes and I snapped my fingers in front of her face to regain her attention.

"I doubt it. That would cause too much chaos. We can try but I don't think it's possible."

"What do you think the Council is hiding?" Elaine's sudden topic change startled me.

I took her hand and pulled her along, making us reach the bridge quicker. I held up a hand to signal for her to wait.

We crossed the bridge in silence. Fortunately, we arrived on solid floor, a railway line going on and on for miles through the desert in front of us.

No matter where we looked, we saw nothing but small hills and arid trees.

There was also no soul in sight, but that was the least of my concerns right now.

Elaine seemed to be thinking the same. "First we're gonna talk, then we're gonna look for Marie, okay?"

I nodded. "I just had the feeling the Council could hear and see what we're doing. You have noticed how people just disappear in Shimmerland, right?"

"Yeah." Elaine held up a hand. "Wait. Do you mean they just turn invisible?"

I walked alongside the rail, watching as Elaine fell in step with me. "I think some people just beam themselves away, but I wouldn't be too sure about the Council."