23

Ethan

"Mom and dad are on their way home. They're like an hour away." Grayson warns.

I'm always excited to see my parents but this time I have a reason to be nervous. My parents are very understanding but I want them to like Cassie. Cassie's the only girl I really want my parents to meet and enjoy.

"Everything's gonna be fine. You know how mom and dad are." Grayson says, patting my back on the way out of the kitchen.

I let out a sigh as I finish up Cassie's coffee. She's always a little grouchy without it so I figured I'd better make some so she's at her best when my parents get here. 

"Is this for me?" she ask with an inviting grin. 

"Of course" I offer a gentle smile. She takes the mug with ease and takes a gentle sip as I let out a low sigh. 

"What's wrong?" she ask with furrowed brows. I don't want her to be worried because she shouldn't be so I try to sound confident. "My parents should be here in an hour." her eyes widen as she gulps down her hot coffee. 

"I should get ready then." she says as she takes in my shirt that sits mid thigh on her. I just let out a chuckle. Her reaction definitely could've been worse. 

"I'll be waiting." I say simply. She gives me a gentle kiss on the cheek on her way out. 

I let out another sigh once she's out of ear shot. I've never really brought a girl home for my parents, let alone moved one in. But I know Cassie will make a good impression. 

I hear the door swing open and my eyes widen. They're early. Cassies not even ready. 

"Ethan? Grayson?" my mom shouts from the front door. I stand up straight and make my way towards the living room. 

"Oh my god. I've missed you guys." my mom gushes as she squeezes me tight. It's been months so I expected this reaction from her. My dad on the other hand is way more laid back when he hugs me. My mom has always been the extra one. 

Grayson's quick to make his way down the stairs and great my parents as well. I'm on edge and my mom can tell. 

"I take it you're not excited to see me." My mom jokes. 

"No. No. Not at all. I just have something to tell you guys." I mutter. My moms eyebrows furrow as she drops her bags. 

"I better sit down." she says quickly as she makes her way towards the couch. My dad and I follow close behind her. 

"You better not have gotten anyone pregnant." My dad says sternly. This only makes me chuckle. 

"No. It's nothing like that." I say as I plop down in the couch across from them. 

"I uh. I met this girl at school." I start. I struggle to spit anything out. 

"That's nice sweetie." My mom encourages me. 

"We're actually dating now. We starting dating a little while after you guys left." I continue. Both of them nod at me, encouraging me to continue. "While you guys were gone she ran into some trouble. I uh brought her here. She has no other place to go." I practically blurt. It feels so nice to finally get it off my chest. 

My parents are quiet for a minute which makes my palms sweat. My moms the first one to break the silence. "So where is this girl of yours?" she ask simply. 

"She's upstairs. She had to shower and stuff." I gulp. 

As if on time Cassie enters from upstairs. I'm quick to stand up. "This is Cassie." I say as I bring her into the living room. 

"Hi." she says with a bright smile and shakes my parents' hands. My parents respond well to her slight confidence and it makes me smile. 

"Well Cassie, Why don't you help me with dinner?" My mom beams. I know this is a small tactic to dig information out of my girlfriend but I don't think Cassie minds one bit. She's quick to follow my mom to the kitchen. 

"I thought you were never gonna get a girlfriend." My dad jokes which causes me to roll my eyes. 

Cassie

"I think I've seen you at some of the football games." Lisa starts. This catches me off guard but I'm pleased to say the least. 

"Oh I'm on the cheer team. That might be where you saw me." I smile kindly as she gathers some of her supplies from around the kitchen. 

"A cheerleader? That's great." She mimics my smile. "So where are your parents?" she ask casually. I don't really blame her. That would probably be one of my first questions too. 

"They're at home actually." I answer hesitantly. In a way she seems to understand that I'm not on good terms with them. 

"My moms probably away for work while my dad drinks his misery away." I chuckle nervously. 

"You don't have to tell me all of that. I know how hard it can be to talk about one's baggage." she reassures me. 

"You seem like a nice girl. I'm willing to let you stay. There will be boundaries of course." she adds. 

"Oh yeah. Of course." I say quickly. "I really appreciate it. I just need to finish high school and I don't think I was gonna be able to do that while living in that place. I might've gone insane." I ramble. 

"This house is nothing but a welcoming environment." she smiles. With that thought there's a knock on the door. She seems just as surprised as I am. 

She drops what she was doing as we make our way to the front door. 

"Who was that?" she ask Ethan. 

"It was a guy with a letter for me." Ethan says shocked. He tears open the envelope as Lisa looks over his shoulder. 

They're quiet for a little while until Lisa speaks up. "Someone's pressing charges!" She says shocked. When she says the name my eyes widen. 

"Who even is that?" she ask Ethan, almost angry. 

"That's my father." I say flatly. 

Word Count: 1036

This is poorly edited so bare with me.