Chapter 22// Real life

"God, my head is killing me" Mae mumbled while coming down the stairs. She had just woken up and to say she was hungover was an understatement. "How are you already up, it's so damn early," she continued, knowing Thera was up.

"Mae, it's almost 12." Thera answered.

"Exactly" Mae answered. She looked up, expecting Thera to tease her but was surprised to see Thera with her back to Mae. Mae knew there was something wrong. When she sat down next to her best friend, her thoughts were confirmed : Thera had an empty look on her face with no sign of a smile.

"OK, what's wrong T?" Mae asked, making an effort to ignore her headache for her best friend's sake. Thera needed her right now.

Thera looked at Mae, opening her mouth to answer the girl but was unable to speak. She had a lump in her throat and felt that talking would result in her crying. Mae saw the tears in her best friend's eyes and became even more worried.

"Is it about you and Alex?" She asked, not seeing what else could've made Thera this sad. Thera only nodded and finally managed to speak "We broke up." she sighed. "Well, I broke up with him." she said quietly.

"Hey, it's going to be ok T, don't worry," Mae hugged her. "Do you want to tell me why?".

"Well I've kind of been doubting our relationship for a while and didn't want to stay with him if I didn't have as strong feelings for him as he had for me. It wouldn't have been fair to him." Thera explained. "Plus, he has a tour coming up and he'll be gone for more than a month."

"This has to do with Tom, doesn't it?" Mae sighed. "What? No! Why the fuck would this have anything to do with him?" Thera pulled away from Mae.

"Thera, it may not what you want to hear right now, but don't lie to me. Or even to yourself. It's not going to help." Mae continued, knowing she was right. After all, they had been roommates and best friends for years.

Thera looked down, "Maybe, I don't know. During Thanksgiving, I talked with my mom and she told me that she believed I cared more about Tom than I thought, and ever since it's just been fucking with my head, you know? The worst part is, I'm pretty sure she's right." 

When Mae didn't answer, Thera looked up at her once again only to see her smile. "Well finally! Took you long enough!" 

When Mae saw how confused Thera was, she continued, "I honestly have no clue how it took you so long to realize that. We all knew it. I mean, Alex is great, don't get me wrong, but what you had, well have, with Tom, is different. No matter how cliché it may sound you guys have so much chemistry it's crazy!"

"Well it doesn't matter anyways." Thera sighed. It was Mae's turn to be confused, "What? Why not?"

"In case you have forgotten, he's in a relationship with Zendaya and, as much as it kills me to say it, they look great together. Also, it shows that the feelings I have for Tom are clearly one-sided." Thera answered feeling getting sadder with every word she said.

Mae couldn't argue with that. As much as she wanted her best friend to be happy with Tom, she knew that breaking up the couple for Thera's sake was wrong.

"Let's not forget that Alex now hates me, meaning that I lost a friend. A fucking mess." Thera muttered.

Mae hugged her, "Alex definitely doesn't hate you. He'll come around, it's just that being dumped sucks for everyone. Give him some time."

"I guess you're right," Thera answered. "I think what I need right now is a distraction. Please tell me you're free today."

"You really thought I was going to make plans the day after New Year's Eve?" Mae raised a brow, making Thera laugh. "Give me an hour and we can get something to eat; I definitely need hangover food." 

Mae got up to get ready and Thera smiled, happy to have such a great roommate and best friend.

A/N :

I'm back!! Sorry for the long absence but I was at my scouts camp for almost three weeks, meaning no internet thus no updates...

Thanks for bearing with my unregular update schedule,

Charlotte xx