"an interdimensional slug? because it's awesome."

"well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, i...i just— i don't know. i just feel like you're trying too hard." steve says, offering the kid a piece of advice.

"well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?"

"it's not about the hair, man. the key with girls is just...just acting like you don't care." steve shrugs his shoulders.

"even if you do?"

"yeah, exactly. it drives them nuts."

"then why don't you act like that around penny?"

steve stops in his tracks before resuming. "what are you talking about?"

dustin looks over at the taller teen, "i might be a middle schooler, but i see things you don't."

steve furrows his eyebrows in confusion. "whatever, man. as i was saying. after that, you just wait until, uh..." steve tosses down some more meat. "until you feel it."

"feel what?"

"it's like before it's gonna storm, you know? you can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, electricity, you know?"

"oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere—"

steve cuts the boy off, "no, no, no. like a...like a sexual electricity." dustin nods in understanding. "you feel that and then you make your move."

"so that's when you kiss her?"

"woah! slow down there, romeo. sure, okay, some girls they want you to be aggressive. you know, strong, hot, and heavy, like a, i don't know, like a lion" dustin hums. "but others, you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a...like a ninja."

"well, what type is penny?"

"jesus, kid! why do you keep bringing this back to penny?"

"just answer the question." steve sighs, throwing more meat to the ground.

"i—i don't know. i'm sure she's different from other girls. shes charming, that's for sure, but she doesn't put herself out there like that. she's a great listener, she's smart, incredibly funny and talented." steve sighs, thinking back to the night before, "penny's great to be around, i guess. i don't have to act like i don't care around her, because she's special." he unknowingly answers dustin's question from earlier. " i can just be...myself around her."

dustin chuckles, "dude, i didn't ask for her biography. i know how awesome she is." they stay silent for a few beats, dustin noticing steve never once mentioned nancy wheeler. "you only just met penny, too! you're so whipped, holy shit."

"am not." steve fires back.

"you have her lips printed on your cheek, steve" the older male rolls his eyes as dustin sighs, "but, this girl she's special, too."

steve furrows his eyebrows, stopping in his tracks. "woah, woah, woah."

"what?"