Chapter Two: A Plan of Escape

"If i try to escape from St. Aggies then i will be caught by the guards, if i leave during battle and both of us are alive, our leaders may attack us". Liam pondered for a moment, trying to formulate a plan. After a short pause he asked, "How well are you at playing dead?". She then replied, "If we could find a squirrel or some other creature and use its blood and perhaps we could make it appear that you have killed me and you could carry me to the Great Tree or at least until we are out of the Pure Ones' sights so they do not suspect that I survived, if Nyra tries to take my body, you should tell her that you will be keeping my body as your prize,". "Then it is set, we must quickly find a creature, kill it, and smear it's blood over our battle claws and make a mark to appear as a killing blow on your feathers, however, we cannot leave these trees unscathes, we must injure each other to some scale to make it appear we fought,". They both then flew away to find a small creature. Nyridian found a large rabbit and with a quick and clean blow, killed her prey and flew back towards the branch before quietly calling out to Liam. A few short moments passed before he also landed on the branch, almost crashing into each other. With their faces being so close after Liam just barely caught himself their breathing became the slightest bit heavier as their hearts raced and their gizzard stirred before they both jumped away and the air became slightly awkward. After another pause Liam spoke up and said, "Quite a clean kill, now, let us begin". Liam cut open the rabbit and both owls smeared blood on their battle claws and Nyridian placed a large glob of blood over her heart. "That should do it, now, for our injuries, strike me few times." Liam reluctantly struck her with his talons leaving marks that were close to being fatal wounds, just enough to look believable. A few moments of Liam painfully striking her and Nryidian crying out in pain, it was Nyridian's turn to do the same to Liam. Like Liam, she was also reluctant, but quickly left a few marks along his chest, cheek, wings, and back before finishing. "Carry me by my wings back to the river, i'll be okay". Liam then quickly but carefully lifted her by her wings toward the river, abandoning the rabbit. Once they exited the treetops, Nyridian quickly slowed her breathing and closed her eyes to add to the illusion that she was dead. Once they had fully exited the forest, they headed back to the river where both armies had landed on the shores of the river. All eyes were on them as soon as they were spotted. When Nyra realised that Nyridian was "dead", she cried out in anguish and anger. Since Liam was on the shore with the Guardians, the Pure Ones could not tell that Nyridian was still alive. Boron nodded his head in congratulations to Liam before he realised that the owl in his talons were still alive. He looked at Liam questioningly. Liam whispered to Boron, "She doesn't want to be with the Pure Ones, and I trust her,". This time Boron nodded his head in understanding but gave Liam a look that said "We are having a serious conversation once we are out of range". Boron called out to Nyra, "The Guardians have won this battle, take your forces and retreat back to your base,". To this Nyra grunted in anger, she settled herself before calling back, "This isn't the last of us, we will be stronger next time, Pure Ones! Return to base," the last part she said with a growl. The Pure Ones' army retreated back to their base, but not before Nyra glared back at the Guardians and gave one last glance to her prized pupil. Nyridian had not only been the most talented of all the Pure Ones, but she had almost thought of Nyridian as her child. Nyra shook the thought away and turned back to her army and began to brainstorm a new plan to avenge Nyridian. Boron then called out to the Guardians, "Let us return to the Great Tree,". He then turned to Liam, " You better have a good reason of why you saved a Pure One solider. Nyra's prized pupil at that." He asked. Liam responded, "I know that she is good, I could feel it in my gizzard. Nyrolian owls are mythed to either be solely good or solely bad. I don't think she will turn on us. Besides, she has intel and im sure, great talents that we could use to change the tide of this war.".

Thanks for reading you amazing people! I'll update as frequently as possible but for now please enjoy.  But for real, thank you for reading my book.