Three

"Did you hear about Mr's. Lamen's cat getting ripped to shreds last night?"

  "Oh yeah, poor thing. She must be so broken up about it."

  "Of course she is. You know, my dad thinks it was a wolf."

  "Oh please, there aren't any wolves around here."

  "That's just what my dad thinks."

  The two girls continued whispering to each other in the back of the classroom, and Phil tried his hardest to block them out, but he was sitting right in front of them.

  With a loud sigh, he closed his empty notebook and stared boredly up at the front of the class, where the teacher was going on about everything that could possibly be considered boring.

  He wasn't usually one to slack off in school. But he hadn't gotten any sleep last night, and all of his classes just seemed exceptionally dull today. He wouldn't be too surprised if he ended up falling asleep on the desk right then and there.

  If he was being one hundred percent honest, it was all the fault of that stupid Dan. Phil had tried to shake any thought of the brunette out of his head, but it was useless. He'd tossed and turned all night, not even being able to close his eyes without being plagued by the boy's breath taking smile and his stupidly amazing eyes. Phil had no idea why he was so consumed with the boy, especially since they'd met only two days ago, but he hesitantly accepted the fact that it wasn't a bad thing.

  And sitting in the middle of his World History class, with his head propped up in one hand and his eyes starting to droop, his mind drifted off once again into the world full of brown eyes and mythical kisses.

  He was just getting to the interesting part when the door slammed open, jolting him out of his daydream and nearly sending him flying from his seat. The whole class was silent, even the teacher, staring at the open door, and Phil sat up, much more alert than he'd been before, as Dan himself walked into the room. He looked around sheepishly at the rest of the class.

  "Sorry about that." He said, wringing his hands together nervously. Phil could hear the girls whispering even more feverishly, giggling and sighing as they most likely stared at The New Kid. He rolled his eyes, clenching his jaw to keep him from snapping at them out of pure jealousy. He needed to keep control of himself, lest he cause any unnecessary drama amongst his peers.

  Phil reluctantly drew his gaze from Dan, who was still up front talking to the teacher, and stared pointedly at some random point on his desk. His stomach was twisting anxiously, and he could almost hear the blood pumping faster through his veins. Goddamn that stupid, attractive boy, making Phil go crazy the way he did. He liked him so much, he hated him, if that made any sense.

  He glanced up, for just a second, but it was a second too long. Dan looked over at him at just that moment, and then they were staring at each other. Phil was frozen in place, for some reason not being able to physically move his eyes away. And Dan didn't look away either, even as he made his way to a seat in the far corner of the room. Phil was only slightly glad there weren't any empty seats next to him.

  It was when Dan smirked at him did he break the eye contact they had, cursing himself mentally for once again getting pulled in. He didn't want to get attached. No, that wasn't true, he wasn't supposed to get attached, because it would only disappoint himseld further. But even as he told himself this over and over again in his head, he could feel the heat of Dan's eyes still on him, and damn it was a good kind of heat.

  "I heard he's a foreign exchange student. Like, he doesn't speak English or anything."

  "Stop being an idiot, Becky, he wouldn't be in this class if he didn't speak English. But he's cute, right?"