STORY OF THE CHUBBY 17

Start from the beginning

Was I trying to hard? I asked, looking at myself in the mirror. Maybe I was, but I’d never done anything like this so...Who cares? Dabbing on some lip gloss I rarely used and grabbing my phone, I headed down to Chris who was sitting on the porch steps, typing something on his phone.

I locked the front door and he jumped up when he heard me. For a moment he looked taken a back with my appearance and for a moment I let myself believe that he was genuinely in awe of me.

‘Shouldn’t we get going?’ I asked, motioning to the car.

 He shook his head as if to clear it, ‘Sure. You look different.’ He added looking at me.

‘Good different or bad?’

‘Good. Definitely good,’ he said, giving me a small smile.

‘Thank you,’ I returned it, before starting to the car. Did I really never want to be friends with Chris again? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

We drove in silence, apart from the radio music softly playing in the car. May be I was overreacting. Yea, I was overreacting. But how on earth was I supposed to take it back? Twiddling my thumbs, I exhaled and began to tell him I was sorry but he beat me to it.

‘Chris-‘

‘I’m sorry I ignored you. I shouldn’t have done that,’ he said. He was facing the road but his eyes darted to look at me.

I nodded, not quite expecting the apology.

‘There are some things I have kept buried and I’d not really want to visit the past... I hope you understand my reluctance to open up,’ he said, his hands tightening on the steering wheel.

‘I’m sorry I was snooping around,’ I said in a small voice.

He nodded. I wonder what he was thinking, though. Oh my God, I’m going to meet his family! I hadn’t even thought of it like that. Crap!

‘Were here,’ Chris said. When did we get here so fast? Maybe I should say I don’t feel well....Oh no! Why did I agree to this?

Chris cut the engine off then turned to look at me, ‘Don’t worry about it, Cecelia! They’ll love you.’

He gave me an encouraging smile and he got out of the car. I got out from my side and allowed myself to take in the neighbourhood. It was beautiful, really. The houses were much bigger as compared to ours and looked...richer too.

I followed Chris up to the front door but before we got in, he turned around to face me, his face looking serious, his eyes not giving away anything.

‘Before we get in...I should tell you, before you come up with your own theories...that,’ he paused, now looking nervous, run a hand through his unruly hair, ‘That I’m adopted.’

‘Chris? Why are you keeping our guest out in the cold?’ A lady with strawberry blonde hair and striking blue eyes appeared at the door wiping her hands on a dish cloth. She turned to me, a warm smile on her face, ‘You must be Cecelia. I’ve heard a bit about you,’ she said, extending a hand for me to shake. ‘Please excuse my son here...he seemed to have lost his manners. Come on in! Chris go set the table.’

‘Really, Mum,’ Chris said, getting in, smiling as if he had just told me nothing of importance or shocking. I was still reeling as his Mum guided me into the house and took my coat.

‘Thank you, Mrs. Edwards,’ I said, clearing my head a little bit.

‘Oh...please call me, Sofia,’ she said, leading us to the living room. ‘Caleb! Conner! Cathy! Dinner’s ready!’ She yelled.