0 . 3 1

| B E V A N D R E D |
• • •
0 . 3 1

     Red's heart was beating out of his chest, when he pulled into that familiar driveway

     Red's heart was beating out of his chest, when he pulled into that familiar driveway. He watched through the window, that shone into the dining room, smiling to himself at the image of his youngest sister trying to force feed one of his brothers.

     Beverly happily watched beside him, his lips curling into a grin at how excited, yet nervous Red seemed.

"It's going to be okay, Matthew. I'm here, your mom and all of your siblings are in that house. All you've got to do is walk in, and be happy again." Beverly's words seemed sweet, but he knew they ran deeper. Deeper than he'd felt about anyone else before.

"I know, I just," he paused, fingers clenching around the steering wheel. "It's been so long."

Beverly understood where he was coming from. Just a week ago, he'd been in the same situation, not really knowing how seeing his father again would go.

But Red was there for him. Red would've been there, even if his father wasn't, Beverly thought. And that was something that he was absolutely sure of. So, Red sitting there, sulking in the fact that he'd taken too long to come home, had Beverly pulling Red in.

"I'll be with you the whole time. And your mom's probably been waiting to see since like—forever. So, smile, and let's go see your family."

     Red couldn't argue anymore, landing a light kiss to Beverly's temple, undoing both of their seatbelts. "Alright, let's go."

     The two walked down the lengthy concrete path, their feet stilling when only inches away from the very house Red hadn't stepped foot in since he was just a teenager.

     But when Beverly began to run small circles on his lower back, his posture relaxed, his fist finally reaching up to knock.

     The voices inside of the small, kept-together home paused, as though they knew exactly who was knocking. Then, only seconds later, the door was being thrown open, revealing a face Red hadn't seen in years.

     Cole, the youngest boy in the family threw his arms around Red, holding onto him for dear life, as tears streamed down both of their faces.

     And at that moment, a tear slipped down Beverly's face, too.

     When Red pulled back, he gripped onto Cole's shoulder, his grin never slipping. "My goodness, you've gotten big."

     "Fuck you." Cole sniffed, wiping the airy tears from his face that resembled Red's so much, that they almost seemed like twins. If it weren't for the age difference.

     Then, a second face appeared at the entrance of the home, him seeming a bit older than Cole. He, too, held Red close, although, he still seemed to be intact. Unlike Cole, who was still wiping stray tears from his cheeks.

     Seconds later, Nick turned to Red, a small smile on his lips. "Come on, brother. Mom's been waiting for you."