Chapter 3

The enraged ruffian shoulder-charged at Khemera, who made no move to either defend or attack at first. At the last second before collision, he gracefully side-stepped. The thug tripped over his own feet and thudded to the ground cursing. 

A second troublemaker moved in to punch the old man, who calmly glanced his way and blocked. When he threw a second attack at Khemera, he snatched his arm and twisted it painfully behind his back. Khemera then shoved the screaming man into his returning comrade, and they both fell into a pile on the floor. 

Screaming loudly, a third ruffian stepped up to engage the elderly fighter. Before he could throw an attack his way, Khemera slapped the man's cheek. A loud cracking sound resounded through the restaurant's speakers and a loud ringing ensued, which prompted the brunette musician to rush back onstage and turn the microphone off finally. The thug crumbled to his knees, clutching the bright red welt on his cheek as he did so. 

A pair of fighters ran at Khemera next. The first threw a kick to the old man's face. Just before impact, Khemera grabbed his ankle and flung him onto his back. Then he spun to face the second man. After blocking his onslaught of slaps, the elder man grabbed the troublemaker by his shoulders and kicked him in the stomach. From my spot, I couldn't see what the liquid being expelled from his mouth was, but frankly, neither did I want to. 

The last fighter placed the little pink hat on an empty seat and cracked his knuckles. He stared into Khemera's eyes with determination. Finally, he slid a dagger out of his boot and positioned himself to stab his opponent. Khemera snatched a pitcher of ice-cold water from a passing waitress and splashed it all over the knife-wielder. Then, in his moment of shock, the old man rushed over, disarmed him, and flipped him over onto the ground. Then, with a satisfied smile, he grabbed the hat and handed it to the young lady. 

A round of applause followed the pair back to our table, which Khemera studiously ignored. He slid into the booth beside me once more, and the teenager slid next to Jedrek. 

The lady gave Khemera a big grin. "Thank ya so much for helpin' me out. I really appreciate it." 

Khemera chuckled. "You don't need to thank me. I was only doing the right thing." 

"Not 'nuff people do that nowadays. I'm Hannah, by the way." 

"Nice to meet you, Hannah. I'm Khemera. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed your playing." 

"Why thank you!" 

"Speaking of your playing, by the way," I interjected, "here's your guitar." 

Hannah locked eyes with me and took her instrument back. "Thank ya for watching over it for me. And who might you be?" 

"I'm Baird. Nice to meet you, Hannah." 

"Likewise." Hannah now turned to Jedrek. "And sir, may I know your name?" 

"Jedrek." he answered, his eyes irremovably glued to his phone. 

"Well, nice to meetcha! I totally dig your jacket, by the way!" 

"Okay." 

I was perhaps a little too entertained by watching Hannah's wide grin slowly fade as she discovered the silent treatment Jedrek gave anybody who crossed his path. However, she quickly brightened up as her gaze swept over Khemera and me. 

"So, who's got an interestin' lil tidbit for me?" 

I furrowed my brow in confusion at her question, but Khemera leaned forward and answered ahead of me. "I've got a very interesting one for you, actually."