|Forty Two|

"Daniel!" I sob, my baby giggling happily in Helen's arms as she entered the hanger the following morning; after having all been evacuated from the island, "Come here, baby," my voice hysterical as I snatch his small frame from a worried Helen and hold him close. Tucking his small head under my chin as I tried not to crush him against me whilst I sobbed. My legs weakening and Owen had to support my body from my elbows as I slowly move to the ground. Relief rushing through my veins at the fact that my little world was safe. That he hadn't seen any of the torturous nightmares we had witnessed. He had been safe off the island the entire time. That Owen and I had made it back to him. 

Owen pulling us both into his strong arms, tears falling down his cheeks as he kisses the top of our heads. Our small family huddled on the hard floor, but we didn't care. We were so grateful that we were all safe- even if I was missing a finger now. 

My hand had been seen to, urgently, once we had landed on the main-land. A portable x-ray and stitches in place due to the little finger missing from the major knuckle. Some strong pain medication later and a promise that I would go to the hospital once an ambulance became available, I had been searching for my baby frantically. 

But here he was. Happy and laughing at the fact that he was receiving so much attention and that mummy looked a little funny with a big bandage covering one of her hands. His eyes shining brightly at his father when he sees the tears streaming down his face. Daniel, taking his small hands and tapping them ecstatically against Owen's sharp cheeks in attempt to cheer his father up. 

"Hey, buddy!" Owen chokes, pulling the toddler from my shaking hold and into his arms. Tucking me under his arm whilst he balanced Daniel on his hip and let the young boy continue to pull on his messy hair and plant wet kisses on his cheeks. "Missed you too!" Owen, making the Daniel scream with laughter as he blows a raspberry on his cheek and showers him with kisses. 

"Missed you, Dada," he mumbles into Owen as he cuddles into his dad. Their hair matching in the sun as they hold each other close. 

"Did you have fun with Grandma?" Owen distracts the young boy. Bringing us both down to normality by getting the little tinker to babble on about his day and seeing the giraffes. The way his smile went so wide when he thought about the animals he had seen and the way his cute button nose would scrunch up as he tried to imitate a tiger he'd seen. Owen growling straight back and tickling Daniel so that his giggles of joy could be heard by the families surrounding us. I avoided their gazes nervously, standing up after placing a gentle kiss on Daniels head to take Helen into a tight hug. 

Sobs once again bubbling past my lips as I breathed in her familiar scent and realized just how lucky I was to be standing here with my family. That it could have easily been more than just a finger I was missing. That Owen could have been hurt. My world would have crumbled if he had been. Luckily, he wasn't. 

Instead, he was now standing tall and hanging Daniel upside down by his ankles with his strong arms because the young boy had said that he didn't like dinosaurs anymore because they were boring. That didn't bother me too much that he had lost interest in the large animals that resided on that horrible island, he would be safer if he stayed away. But, he is exactly like his father and that means he would often be interested and involved in things he shouldn't be. I could imagine that dinosaurs would play a big part of his life when he's older. What else should we expect from the kid that grew up on Isla Nublar and had a father that worked with raptors. 

"Where's So- so?" Daniel beams. His eyes scanning the crowds eagerly for the large dog that was always at his side. My heart leaped into my throat and I couldn't take a breath. Owen, casting a worried glance at me as he sits down on a bench nearby. Sitting Daniel on his knee whilst I go and sit beside them, brushing a shaking hand through his doe brown hair that needed a cut. 

"Erm... erm, baby..." I had to take a deep breath.  I couldn't get my words out at the heartbreak I knew I was going to cause. Licking my chapped lips nervously, i would rather tell him this somewhere where he feels safe and comfortable- such as home- but we couldn't do that. I didn't have the heart to lie to my child and cause him further heartbreak later. 

"Solo's died. He was fighting with a dinosaur to save mummy," Owen interjects. His voice wobbling as he holds his son close. Daniel's eyes wide at the news. His bottom lip trembling as his eyes welled up with hot tears. His cries were like a knife to my already broken heart. If I could do anything to get my son's best friend back; I would. Solo had been there for him since he had been a baby, watching over him in his cot and playing with him as soon as he could walk. I couldn't prevent my own tears as I watched Daniel huddle tightly into Owens neck. Owen making soothing noises as he rubs Daniel's back in a soothing manner; my own hand gently placed on his shoulder as I lean into Owens hold and we all cry together. 

Our hearts breaking and bleeding for the family member we had lost. And for the girls we would never see again that had fought so bravely for us last night. 

Helen, places her slightly arthritic hand on my shoulder as we cry. Her own eyes filled with tears as she sees our heartbreak. But she knows that we are strong. She knows that we can get through anything and can build a new, better, life when the dust has settled. That, even though we have all been traumatized in different ways by the events, we would be stronger as a family. That we could achieve anything if we put our minds to it. And that Daniel would be a smart, talented boy when he grows up; knowing that his parents were crazy enough to bring him up on an island full of dinosaurs and protected him with their lives.

He knew he would be loved and cherished. That his parents would do anything to make him, and his expectant sibling, a better world to grow up and live in. Because Jurassic World existed to remind us just how small we are. How new the human race is. Just how much potential we possess to do amazing things.