|Eight|

"All done" I smile the best I can at Toby as I finish checking the healed -and previously removed- stitches. I glance briefly up at the blonde haired man as he donned his cap and re-adjusts his baggy grey shirt to sit past the waist of his worn and torn jeans; the last few months of final construction having it's toll on the man with being limited with his previous injury. "No more  fork lifts for you," I tease quietly as he chuckles at me, standing to his feet.

"I'll try not too," He says, "Just as long as you give that lost puppy who follows you around a bone to chew on"

"Excuse me?" I furrow my brows at him as he opens the door and begins to leave

"Grady," He chuckles as he winks at me and shuts the door quietly behind him.

 Sighing I throw myself into my chair behind the white desk and pull my hair from the tight bun atop my head, massaging my sore scalp with my nails. What is it with Owen and seeming to find his way into every aspect of my life?

This morning he snagged me on my early run to try and teach me how to punch properly. After he showed me, I smacked him across the face and told him to leave me be. The bugga just joined me on my fuming run home, teasing me about how my slap was better than my punch. Next time I'll kick him where the sun doesn't shine and see if he still wants to follow me round then.

Groaning, I peep up to the pale green wall above to look at the plastic white clock and instantly regret it with my head dropping to the desk in disbelief. Twenty minuets left an this shift will be over. Twenty too long minuets. Sighing in defeat I scrape my highlighted hair back into a tight bun and plaster a smile on my face before picking up the paperwork of the day and heading to the staff room and record room to file everything away. Maybe taking longer for my black flat covered feet to troop to the rooms than it should. Today has been a slow day.

Eventually, Elizabeth allowed me to finish five minuets early; that woman is like a mother hen with her fussing and fluttering around. Constantly worrying over me. Especially after the indecent that occurred a few months ago. 

The warm and humid night air kisses my clammy skin as I push my way out of the metal door belonging to the infirmary and instead of heading for the monorail so I can travel back to the bungalow, I stop in my tracks to slouch my shoulders at the sight in front of me.

"I deserved that slap," he smiles at me; leaning against his bike in his trademark tight jeans and thin, blue, v neck. Unfolding his bulging arms from across his chest he begins walking to my defeated position, still at the top of the stone steps that are illuminated by the artificial orange glow of the street lights above- the moon full and high up in the inky darkness above. "But I deserve at least a kiss to make it better," he smirks whilst he closes in on my now stunned form as my eyebrows shoot up my forehead. His close proximity causing pin pricks of electricity to flicker between our close bodies as he towers over me. 

Snapping out of it, I break out of the heated gaze and shoulder past him, keeping my eyes on the grey floor as I try to put some distance between us and head down the stairs. Who does he think he is coming waltzing up like that? He's just like all the other men in this damned world! 

Owen easily catches up beside me with a quiet, "Thought not," reaching my aided ear, silence as always greeting my other one. "Ride home, madam?" he teases as he bows at the waist and dramatically motions with his hand to the bike- a death trap. I shake my head quickly.

"It's not as scary as you think," he reassures, taking my brown satchel from my shoulder and hooks it across his large body, not really giving me a choice as he holds out a hand for me to take after he mounted the metal beast. Tentatively, I take his hand and hoist my leg over the rear, grateful I decided to wear black suit trousers instead of my skirt to go with my white shirt and black waist jacket.

Wrapping my small arms around Owens waist I can't help but notice how defined he is beneath my touch and I'm thankful that I can hide my blush behind his huge shoulders, "You like? I can feel you blushing from here," smirks over his shoulder at me before the engine roars into life beneath us, "Hold on English!"

We were off with a sudden start, I squeal in panic and hold onto his waist for my life, snapping my eyes shut and pushing my cheek against his broad back. The wind blowing against my face and kicking the scent of freshly cut grass and a hint of thyme up around me- the distinct smell of Owen. Through the vibrations of his chest and movement of his back I know he's laughing at me as he watches me over his shoulder as we drive, "Look at the road!" I shout, my eyes still glued shut as we take a corner quickly, the bike leaning heavily to the right as Owen moves. He laughs harder.

"Open your eyes English," he calls over his shoulder at me, "At least then you can see the tree before we hit it!"

My eyes snap open as I squeeze him slightly harder at his comment. I hadn't realized we were so close to the racing trees as we glide between them on the dirt track. However scary and furious I was at him, the blur of shadows in the moon light- as we traveled in the direction that was most definitely not towards Vivian's bungalow- was exhilarating and beautiful.

"Wrong way!" I shout but I know he's aware of the fact that my bed for the night is in the opposite direction to which we were hurtling. "I know, nearly there" he calls whilst taking a hand and giving my knee a gentle squeeze. I trust he'll keep me safe.

I know, it's short but next chapter I promise something juicy! 

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow my lovelies!!