4.

Warning: mention of rape.

That day, Jane decided to step out from grief and embrace life to its fullest. She had Junoir and life at that moment was guaranteed and so she was determined to make the best out of it.

In order to celebrate her victory over grief, she halted a cab from Junior's school which took them straight to Jenny's Palace. 

Jenny's Palace was a restaurant injected in the heart of the town and was mostly frequented by people from far and near because of it's unique and magnificent edifice and the quality of services they rendered.

Jane walked along with Junoir through the swinging glass doors. She smiled as the gateman gave her a cheery welcome and as she settled on a chair close to the window, there was this calmness and warmth that washed over her when she looked outside to see the wind blowing against the flowers. It bore an aesthetic beauty.

The restaurant was filled with people who had come in dinner dates, family dates or business meetings. A pot bellied man sat besides her, she caught him stealing glances at her from her peripheral vision and when she turned towards him, he oggled her and mouthed ‘beautiful lady.’ 

Jane hissed and looked away. 

When the waiter arrived, he asked for their orders and she ordered hamburgers and two plates of ice cream. 

Junoir’s eyes lit with excitement the moment the waiter brought their orders. He did a dance and laughed. 

“Ice cream,” he nearly screamed with a smile. 

Jane watched him with a smile, happy that he was happy. 

Dear universe, please keep me for my son. He doesn't deserve to go through anything I've been through. Keep him safe from all the evils this life might bring.

However, a strange feeling settled in her gut. It was a feeling that she was being watched, a feeling that did not end when she looked around and found no familiar face or noticed that the pot bellied man was busy with his phone and that nobody was watching her.

She opened the ice cream and slowly began to feed Junoir when he began to cry, refusing to eat.

“Junoir.” She whispered. “Please don't draw unnecessary attention to me . Eat this now.” her eyes seemed to beg.

“No.” Junoir shook his head. “I want to feed myself.”

“Oh.” she sighed and gave him the spoon. 

She sighed and watch him begin to eat happily. Despite any years of living with Junoir, she still had not finished studying his likes and dislikes and each time she felt she had known him enough. A situation presented itself to make her question this knowledge. Perhaps, It was one of the packages motherhood came with... Or life.

You felt you knew someone enough but then they acted in a certain way that made you realize that you had never known them all along and so you spend many days drowning in the reality of this newly found knowledge and then you'd realize that this is life and it comes with unsolicited surprise packages.

They had barely began to eat when the cool breeze blew through the window and the air announced itself of something mysterious. Jane shuddered instinctively and the air suddenly became taut.

“Jane,” a familiar voice calle, it sounded tentative “Is this really you or are my eyes playing tricks on me?”

Jane froze at that instant. She could recognize that voice anytime and any day without much trouble because of the memories that it had planted in her.