Chapter Nine: Nevermore

Clarke sat with Raven's head in her lap. Didrika sat in the front seat and stared out the window. Jasper drove while staring intently at the surroundings in front of him. Didrika picked at the skin around her nails. She kept her eyes off of the boy beside her. Jasper looked over at her. He had never seen her around before. Clarke must really like making friends with the grounders, Jasper thought as he clenched his jaw. Having Clarke behind him, sent his nerves on fire. He tightened his grip on the steering wheel. His knuckles turned white. He could not help it. He needed to know who she was and he needed to keep himself from going crazy. A simple conversation could do that for him, right? He turned his head to look at Didrika. Didrika lifted her head up and stared at him. He realized that she was being polite by not prying into who he was. Not all grounders could be bad, could they?

"Who the hell are you?" Jasper asked.

"I'm Didrika. I'm the new Commander," Didrika replied.

"Great. Another grounder. No offense."

"None taken. Do you wanna tell me what's happening? I wasn't informed that Skaikru was under attack."

"Under attack? I wish."

Clarke moved Raven off of her and scooted herself up so that she was in between the front chairs. She looked over at Jasper.

"Jasper, please. Talk to us," Clarke said.

"I saved your life. That's more than you deserve, Clarke," Jasper said.

"My mother let them shoot at me," Clarke whispered to herself.

Didrika turned to look at her and placed her hand on Clarke's. Clarke nodded at her to let her know that she was okay.

"I can see the appeal," Jasper said, "Look, just don't talk. Look for the cave. Sinclair said it would be around here, somewhere."

Didrika gritted her teeth. She willed herself to refrain from slapping Jasper in the face. She hated his attitude. It was disrespectful. It was hurtful. What could Clarke have done to deserve such treatment?

"Jasper, just tell me then. Please, I need to know what's going on," Didrika said, instead.

Jasper looked over at her and then back to the road.

"Arkadia wasn't attacked. Our old Chancellor, Jaha, showed up with chips and started giving them to everyone. Raven was the first to get chipped. She was trying to get it out of her. They start seeing this woman in red called Allie. Allie's taken over everything," Jasper explained.

"Chipped?" Didrika asked.

"They were implanted with an AI like you were," Clarke explained. Clarke turned to Jasper. "My mom wouldn't willingly take the chip," Clarke said.

"She made Raven slit her wrists to get Abby to take the chip. She's an enemy that's unpredictable. We have to get the chip out of Raven," Jasper said.

"What happened to Chancellor Pike?" Didrika asked.

"The insurgency already turned him in. Kane and the grounders of the blockade are taking him back to Polis. They probably will reach Polis tomorrow," Jasper told her.

Didrika leaned back into the chair. It was Lorelei's problem now. If she needed her help, she would send her a bird message.

The vehicle pulled to a stop outside a cave. Jasper pulled the key out of the ignition and jumped out of the car. He was clearly in a hurry. He opened the back door and pulled Raven into his arms. Clarke jumped at his sudden movement. Didrika and Clarke climbed out of the vehicle. Jasper was already walking away from the vehicle.