Chapter Six: Thirteen

It was late morning and the throne room was filled with people. Lexa sat in her throne chair. Didrika stood beside her. Two guards stood behind Lexa's throne. Clarke stood off to the side watching Lexa with a smile on her face. Titus stood on the other side of Lexa. The novitiates of the Coalition and Cavikru's conclaves stood on the side of Didrika. The Nightbloods held candles in their hands. The tiny flames waved in the wind. The Ambassadors stood on the side of Titus. They stood patiently and watched their Commander speak with high regard.

"We gather here on this Ascension Day to unite our clans' cultures. Before us stand the seven novitiates of the Coalition and the twelve novitiates of Cavikru. Each of these novitiates are worthy of their status. Ascension Day for us is a day we honor the Commanders that came before me, those who live on within me as I will live on within one of my novitiates. Ascension Day for Cavikru is a day they celebrate and tell stories of their past Commanders' legacies. The novitiates take this day to meet their Commander and to find a bonding connection with her. The merging of our traditions marks a new era for our people. There will no longer be two Ascension Days. Each clan's novitiates will train with each other. We will honor all our past Commanders and make one tradition together. As the Foheda and Heda are now one," Lexa announced.

Aden grinned as he stared at the orange flame of his candle. Love filled his eyes. Peace unwrinkled his face and brought out the youth in him. Shouting broke his tranquility. He turned his head to the door alarmed.

Lexa looked at Didrika and then to the opening doors. Lexa was caught off guard and she quickly buried her surprise so that the Ambassadors would not see her moment of weakness.

A group of Trikru villagers barged into the throne room. One man looked particularly old and was leaning heavily on his cane. Lexa could not come up with a reason as to why he was here. Octavia was gagged and held prisoner by the group. Lexa creased her forehead in confusion. She shook off her uncertainty and composed herself.

"Fleimkepa don swega klin bilaik osir na ge sen in! (The Flamekeeper promised we would be heard!)" The old man said.

"Titus, what is this?" Lexa demanded of her Flamekeeper.

Titus turned to Lexa and lowered his head to her ear. He cleared his throat.

"Something you need to hear, Heda," Titus whispered.

Lexa blinked several times in surprise and then looked forward at the speaker.

Clarke gasped in shock at Octavia's appearance. She was concerned for her friend and confused. Octavia glared over at Clarke. Clarke rubbed her temples as her gears spun trying to figure out what was happening.

"Wigod ai op hashta min klin ona disha presh sintaim, Heda. Ai laik Semet kom Trikru en ai kom op hashta raitnes. (Forgive me for intruding on this holy day, Commander. I am Semet of Trikru and I come seeking justice,)" the old man said.

"Gouva yu klin. Chomouda yu don sis op Okteivia kom Skaikru gon honon? (Explain yourself. Why do you hold Octavia of Skaikru prisoner?)" Lexa replied.

"Em laik honon kom wor, Heda, don ge lid hir na sin in kripon-de kom omon kru. (She is a prisoner of war, Commander. Brought here to bear witness to the crimes of her people.)"

Clarke looked at Didrika with confusion and anger in her face. Didrika gestured for her to step forward. Clarke rushed over to Semet.

"What crimes? What happened?" Clarke demanded.

"Skaikru attacked their village. Because their warriors were lost when your people massacred the army we had sent to protect you, their village was defenseless," Titus replied.