Chapter Eight: The Eighth Circle

Clarke turned away from the window. Her eyes scanned the scene in front of her. Titus laid stiff on the ground. A pool of his own blood was under his arm and side. Lexa's room had been ruined. The candles had been blown out and the books had been thrown to the floor. Lorelei was on her stomach and had a bleeding wound to her temple. Clarke felt anger eat away at her calm. Clarke moved slowly to put the books back on their established places.

Didrika stared at the red smoke floating in the blue sky. Had she done what was right? Did she do what was right for her people? Should she have taken the Flame? A voice in her head spoke unwarranted. You did what was right with what you had. Didrika recognized it as Lexa's voice. Lexa? The voice did not answer. It had spoken its peace and had left. She figured that it was just her imagination. Didrika turned and heard a crackle under her feet. She looked down and saw a sketch of Lexa sleeping under her foot. Didrika bent down and picked up the drawing. She had not drawn this.

"Clarke?" Didrika asked as her voice cracked.

Clarke turned to her and saw the drawing in her hands. Clarke walked up to her and Didrika handed it to her.

"I didn't know you drew," Didrika said.

"And you do?" Clarke said back harshly.

"I do."

Clarke stepped back in surprise. She immediately took back her venomous tone. She placed her hand on Didrika's forearm and rubbed her thumb across it. Didrika gave her an encouraging smile.

Lorelei stirred and stood up with a groan. Didrika tore her arm away from Clarke and turned her attention to her girlfriend. She bolted over to her and helped her onto her feet. Lorelei rubbed her head and winced when she grazed her temple. Lorelei silently swore at herself.

Clarke turned to Didrika and cleared her throat. Didrika and Lorelei looked at her. Lorelei glanced down at Titus and found him dead. Lorelei paled and resisted the urge to run her hands over Didrika to make sure she was okay.

"We must address this in front of the ambassadors. How do you want to do this?" Clarke said, steadying her voice.

"I know the new order is blood must not have blood, but the only way to get my point across is to overthrow them," Didrika told her.

"You want to kill him."

"I've wanted to kill him since he became my Guardian. He is from the Royal Court. It's one family that are the Guardians. They hold the belief that the Foheda is a figurehead and that they call the shots. They believe that women can't be warriors. The people hate the family and the only way to end their reign is to have them die. We don't have Ambassadors that can vote on a no confidence."

"And your people want this?"

"Our culture is moving to be progressive. They don't want conservative views anymore."

"And you started the change?"

"No. The Commander before my previous Commander shifted the change. I've just been tasked with completing the change."

"This change will benefit the Coalition and my people?"

"It'll confirm my position as Commander. I'll be able to lead without worrying when the court will retaliate and without bringing my clan's prejudice into the Coalition."

"Then I will support you."

Lorelei watched the two girls interact. She knew she had no reason to be jealous of Clarke. Clarke loved Lexa. Didrika loved Lexa. They were just grieving over the same person, together. Lorelei realized that Titus had made Clarke the Flamekeeper before he had died. Clarke was her new advisor and teacher. Lorelei shook her head, clearing the faint feeling she felt. The Royal Court had attacked Didrika while she was performing a ritual. Under the oath of the Unify Partner, Lorelei should be killing Jett for trying to harm Didrika. What was her position on undermining the Royal Court? They were brutal in their ways. They tortured to create warriors. They lead with corrupt values. Did they deserve to be pulled out of power? Definitely. Would their fall cause the downfall of the clan? The Coalition had been led by a Commander for centuries. They did not need a Royal Court to keep them alive. No, the downfall of the Royal Court will not affect Cavikru negatively. Didrika would have to establish a new tradition of Guardians, though. Lorelei looked at Didrika and nodded her head.