Chapter Twenty-Seven

Börja om från början

"By whom?"

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked hopefully, from where she sat beside Aquila.

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing." Fury replied. 

"Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is," Aquila finally spoke up. 

"I might need to visit Oslo," Tony said. "Find our unknown."

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have something more than that," Nat said sarcastically. 

"I do, I have you." Fury replied. "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream of.  Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission and whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave." Fury said, pausing for emphasis throughout his speech. "So stand, outwit the platinum bastard." 

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk," Nat teased, throwing a mischevious smile towards the Captain.

"You know what, Romanoff."

It was amazing how a small, simple exchange immediately broke the tension in the room, causing almost of all them to grin to themselves.

"So, what does he want?" Fury asked, still pressing on.

"To become better."

"Better than us." Aquila continued. "He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." 

"They don't need to be protected," Bruce said realizing what was happening. "They need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve."

"How?"

Aquila's eyes widened as she recalled a conversation which felt like it had taken place years ago when it wasn't even a full week. 

"Has anybody been in contact with Helen Cho recently?"

A few moments, later, once plans had been made in order for them to save the world again. Aquila decided it would be the right time to ask the question that had been on everyone's minds. 

"Who is that new person sleeping in the living room?"

"That's my younger sister," Keira said, finally speaking up. 

"Your younger sister?" Steve asked Keira, shocked. 

"Yeah. Um. . .my mother. . " Keira trailed off as everyone watched as Tony kissed her forehead, calming her down. "My mother suddenly died, which leaves me as the guardian of Bea."

"I'm very sorry to hear that, Keira," Natasha said. 

"If we can do anything to help, let us know." Aquila continued. 

"Thanks."

Farewells were needed as the Avengers prepared themselves to leave the safety of the Barton home and fight again. They never seemed to not be in trouble for long but after all, they were the Avengers. 

Aquila stood slightly to the side as everyone said their goodbyes however that was until Lila Barton walked up to Aquila, wrapping her arms around Aquila's legs as a hug considering their height difference. 

"You'll be back soon right?" The little girl asked. "We need more girls around here."

"Of course, I will. I'll make sure to bring Auntie Nat back as well, alright?"

"Ok!" The little girl shouted, squeezing Aquila's legs one last time before running off to say goodbye to someone else. 

"You know, you went back on your word. You didn't strangle, Fury." Keira joked as Aquila turned to her. 

"Well, it wasn't exactly the right time but I will make sure he knows I can look after myself," Aquila said. "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine, thanks."

"Thank you very much for letting us stay," Aquila said walking over to where Laura stood as the woman pulled her into a hug.

"It was no problem," Laura replied. "It was lovely to meet you."

"You too," Aquila said, about to leave when Laura grabbed her wrist forcing her to stop.

"Whatever is happening between you and Natasha, Aquila. Please go for it. You guys both deserve something good." Laura told Aquila, her own words similar to the same ones that Steve had told her.

"Yeah, maybe I will properly go for it."