𝟔. 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐬

Edmund lead the way as Peter and I tagged along behind him. The sun hadn't set quite yet, but the deeper into the thicket we went, the darker it became. We passed trees upon trees, and about a dozen squirrels until Edmund beckoned us to stop. We seemed to be standing where we had last seen the deer, and where Peter had scared it. Weird how he thought that little thing was some sort of danger to me. Heck, he had tried to protect me. I froze for a moment. I had never really thought anything of it but-- oh my gosh. Peter had tried to protect me. He had never done something like that before. I shook the thought of my head. He probably just was just being courteous, nothing more. Right? I'm overthinking this, just forget it, Bette.

"Bette, are you coming?" My mind woke to Peter smiling as he motioned for me to sit.

My cheeks flushed, "Uh, yeah." I sat in between the two brothers on the forest floor, close to the bush where the deer had been hiding upon our last visit. "So, uh," I swallowed, "now can you tell me why you dragged me all the way out here?" I looked to Edmund, trying to take my thoughts off of Peter. 

"Well, Peter figured he owed you an explanation and we talked it over with Lucy and Susan... so we thought we ought be honest with you." Edmund met my eyes. "Elizabeth, we're more than school boys..."

"Well yeah-- you're my friends." [A/N: Lol sorry for making Elizabeth so oblivious here :p]

"Yeah, but we're more than that." His brown eyes were warm, but serious.

"I-- um... both of you?"

Ed nodded.

"Look I'm flattered but I can't have two boyfriends." Edmund and Peter burst out laughing. "What? You said--."

"No, Bette-- that's not what we meant. Although I'm flattered that you'd consider one of us as--."

"Oh shut up, Ed," I punched him in the arm.

"As we were saying," Peter continued, "We're Kings."

My head instantly became clouded. "Kings? I'm not sure I understand." 

Peter nodded and explained the rest. To sum it up for you: Apparently the four of the Pevensies thought they're Kings and Queens of a place called Narnia?? It's possible that he made this up-- but would Peter really do that? He described it in such detail, as if he really had been there, wherever there was. Cair Paravel, the Wardrobe, Beaversdam, Mr. Tumnus, the Telmarines, some guy named Caspian (aka Susan's boyfriend according to Edmund), the Stone Table, the White Witch, and Aslan, the noble Lion that reigns supremely over the world. Then, finally, Edmund spoke about the deer.

"You see, the reason Pete made such a big deal about the deer was because during the end Golden Age of Narnia, the end of our reign, we had been on the hunt for the White Stag. Mr. Tumnus was the one who had originally told us about the stag. He explained to us that legend has it, who ever would catch it, would have their wishes granted. But during the hunt we came upon the Lamp-post and the Wardrobe, and we were sent back."

I swallowed. I didn't quite know how to take all this in. I think I believed them, I mean it wasn't like them to lie. But it still didn't make a lot of sense. "Then why is it here? I mean if the stag is from your world-- Narnia-- whatever, it couldn't be possible that it came to England, could it?"

"That's what we're trying to figure out ourselves," Peter spoke up. "It doesn't seem possible, but here it is. We're wondering if it could've escaped Narnia somehow-- maybe it found some sort of exit. Like an underground passage or perhaps a portal as the Telmarines had in the Age of Conquest."

"I think it might be some sort of sign. Maybe Aslan sent it here to tell us something." Edmund looked in my direction, perhaps waiting for my opinion.

I thought about it for a moment. Both explanations seemed possible. How were we to tell then? Then I realized: We had to catch it.