𝟒. 𝐀𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫

"Why were you late to arithmetic then?" Lucy raised an eyebrow. I had just finished telling everyone what had happened, and why I got detention. 

"Well..." I looked at Edmund, who was busy scarfing down a banana. 

It took him awhile to notice us staring at him; he seemed to be really enjoying his banana. Peter laughed. Then Edmund finally noticed, "What?" 

"Bette was following after Edmund and went into the thicket," Peter spoke up.

"I wasn't the only one." I mumbled. 

"Whoa, it wasn't like that." Peter replied quickly. "I was not following you."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

"Why were you following Bette then, Peter?" Susan had a puzzled look upon her face.

"I wasn't following her!" Peter's face began to go red. "I-- sensed...something."

Lucy's eyes lit up. "What? What did you see Peter? Was it magic?" She whispered that last part.

"Shh. Lucy!" Peter looked over at me.

What was he on about? And magic? Surely, Lucy was joking. Besides, here's no such thing. "What? All that was in the thicket was just some deer that Peter apparently had something against, considering what went down."

"What?! I didn't know it was the stag-- I mean, a deer, it could've been anything! I wasn't trying to hurt it! Why do you always seem to have something against me?" Peter glared at me.

I grumbled and stood. "I'll catch up with you guys later. I have homework to do."

"Bette, stay with us a bit longer!" Edmund called.

I shook my head and began to head to the Saint Finbar's dormatories.

Moments later, I swung my dorm door open and plopped on to my bed. I stared at the ceiling. Why couldn't Peter just leave me alone? Still after all these years I don't understand him. I wish he would tell me what was the big deal about going into the thicket and that stag we'd seen. I don't see the point. And what was all that about magic? 

With my head spinning, I completely forgot about my homework, and started to drift off to sleep. It didn't last long. I woke up to the sound of something at my window. It almost sounded like someone was throwing something to get my attention. I got up and walked over to the window, rubbing my eyes awake. I undid the lock and forced the window open. I looked down, and as I did, I almost got hit with what I guessed was a rock or pebble of some sort. "Hey! Stop it!"

I heard a distant and a familiar laugh. "Sorry. I was trying to get your attention."

A shiver went up my spine. "What are you doing here?"