Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"I really hope the judge can sense that, too."

* * *

The elder judge had taken his place and the proceeding had begun. This would be the chance for each parent to make their statement why they should have custody of Anna. Joint custody wouldn't have been an issue for anyone if it wasn't Lena to have requested sole custody, and because she had requested this, all had to be present in front of a judge.

The judge read aloud the case and in between each few sentences he glanced up, pushed his glasses up higher and looked down to the papers again. When he finished he sighed.

"Let me get this right. Both divorcees are fighting for custody of Anna Ulvaeus, birth parents... Björn Ulvaeus, the father, and Agnetha Fältskog, the real birth mother. Lena Kallersjö, was pretending to be the mother for fourteen years."

"Yes, sir," both parties had said together. In all his years, the judge had never seen a case such as this.

"Before beginning... parents, all three of you should remember the final decision will be set to meet the best interest for your daughter. What you wish for is one thing, what may result is another and you both need to keep this in mind. From what I understand, she is fourteen of age and legally there is nothing to force on her. Her maturity level should conclude overall decision," he explained.

Agnetha was seated right behind Björn and his lawyer. Her hands were in a constant fiddle as she listened closely to his words. She couldn't help the pounding in her heart especially each time the judge looked back at her.

The judge asked a series of questions to both parents. Financially both were dependable. Both appeared to be responsible when it came to their children.

Anna and Emma were finally able to enter the courtroom and were seated behind Lena. She looked to Agnetha and smiled lightly. She had hopes her father would know what to do, to seek out what was best in her own interest. Her sister had turned eighteen just a few months back. Their divorce wouldn't necessarily affect her, but in any case, she would choose to be beside her mother, just opposite of Anna.

Björn stood first to give his testimony. He appeared prepared and serious. He was confident, which the judge noticed straight away. The arguments made against him previously were not making a match, but the judge couldn't base it only on appearances. Björn shared the complete truth explaining everything he had done for his children, most especially Anna. After all he was the one to have cared for her and given her his time whenever she needed it. For Lena it was generally when she had to, though her lawyer defended otherwise.

"I'm not trying to take her away from Lena. I believe it should be Anna's decision, ultimately, but I also believe it should be considered. Lena is asking for sole custody, yet legally she is not her mother. The birth certificate from the hospital has originally written Agnetha's name. If it hadn't been for Lena to request that Anna be brought up with us, things would have been different for all of us." Björn went on to explain the involvement in Anna's life. From birth to present, he was always the one to look after her needs financially, emotionally, and had given her his complete time, equally as he had done with Emma and the rest of his children.

Lena had presented her testimony second. She stood tall, appearing sharp in a white suit. The color she dressed in contradicted the color of her heart as she spoke about Björn and his inability to be a stable father. She had begun from the nights when it was only Emma and stating how it would take him until late hours before he got home.

Mentioning the will and strength of being able to raise a child birthed from another woman had appeared as a strong point for Lena. She took the weight of her husband's mistake. Björn's lawyer quickly objected and said it was plainly for revenge and nothing more. The judge looked back at Anna and then Agnetha and Lena looked back, too.